Big 3 Astrology?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Big 3 Astrology?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media

The Best and Worst Qualities of Each Fire Sign

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Astrology can be a cute, lighthearted way of tapping into people’s personalities. It’s not fair to say the stars completely define one’s life and behavior, but you can’t deny the joy that comes from laughing about each zodiac sign’s quirks. All fire signs have a bright, passionate, fun energy that can uplift others during the highs…or scorch them during the lows. Depending on their modalities and planet rulers, each sign can bring a unique flame to the fire. Here is a list of each fire sign’s best and worst qualities.

1. Aries

Ruled by Mars, this cardinal fire sign is passionate, driven, and lacks any sense of fear. Over half of my friend group consists of Aries — why? Simply because they had the courage to walk up to a once-stranger and say hello. Because of this lack of fear, Aries are the most capable of jump-starting major projects, making connections, or pursuing their wildest dreams: they don’t think twice about the consequences…which leads wonderfully to the cons. 

Because Aries are filled with abundant energy, their impatience gets the best of them, leading to issues of impulsivity, bluntness, and anger. Many times Aries folks will say or do things before thinking, leading them into messy situations down the line. This impatience can indirectly provoke a self-centered nature, as some Aries do not consider the impact they have on those around them before making a decision. However, because of this self-focused perspective, manipulation is not in their vocabulary. No Aries will go out of their way to hurt someone — they would rather put that effort into building themself up. For this reason, it is easy to say if an Aries makes a grave mistake, it is never done with ill intention.

assorted zodiac signs?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Original Illustration on Canva for Her Campus Media

2. Leo

Ruled by the sun, Leos are credited for their bombastic, confident, and creative energy. Their fixed nature separates them from Aries or Sagittarius, as this brings about a grounded nature that translates into loyalty, perseverance, and constant faith in themself. Additionally, I have found Leos to be the most stylish when it comes to outfit choices: putting time into one’s appearance is cute, you know. 

Now, I know what you’re thinking. “She’s gonna say Leos are too egotistical and arrogant”… and you would be correct. All fixed signs suffer from stubbornness, and Leos are no exception. Underdeveloped Leos may weaponize their high self-esteem to believe their opinions, their assumptions, and their mindset is always correct, simply because they think they’re superior. Because they are ruled by the Sun, the center of our Solar system, Leos can also have a craving for being the center of attention, sometimes stealing the show at inappropriate times. However, once this confidence is channeled in the right direction, Leos can make some of the best leaders (*cough cough* Obama), becoming a strong, stable force of hope for many.

3. Sagittarius

Sagittarius is undeniably the most optimistic, light-hearted, and adventurous sign of the zodiac system. Their ruler Jupiter influences their jovial demeanor, while also instilling in them a big-picture perspective and a philosophically-wise mind. When people think of intelligence, their thoughts are typically directed towards Virgos or Geminis, but Sagittariuses are actually quite excellent in classroom settings, as long as they keep their archer eyes on the target.

Hero Copy
Megan Charles / Her Campus Media

While Sagittarius may be the life of the party, they struggle with commitment issues, recklessness, and overly carefree nature. What keeps a Sagittarius still is excitement, fun, and LIFE! If a task, or even a person, is far too mundane, they are quick to leave and find the next best thing. Secondly, while they do put the “fun” in “fun”eral (spoken from a Sag rising herself), sometimes their carefree nature comes off as inappropriate at times. In a world where life has many ups and downs, it’s important to know when to enjoy it and when to buckle down and focus. Despite the cons, do not be fooled by Sagittarius’s aloofness. They are the centaur after all: once they harness their optimistic nature, find a goal, and keep their eye on the target, nothing will stop them from driving that arrow right through the middle.

Fire is a unique force, where if placed in the right setting can warm a home, but if untamed, can burn a nation. Whether you have any fire placements or not in your birth chart, we all can learn how to harness the best qualities of each fire sign and how to control the worst qualities. At the end of the day, human beings are complex and fluid: we can only evolve into the best version of ourselves if we incorporate lessons from others.

Gayathri is a third-year Biotechnology major and director of the UCD Her Campus Digital Media team. She loves to write, work out, sing, and sleep (college students need more of that nowadays). When not indulging in her boba addiction, she likes to wind down by watching hilarious Youtube vids with a hot cup of tea.