The Beauty of Change

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don’t resist them; that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like. –Lao Tzu

Change is such a funny concept. Despite professing our belief in its positive nature, many, myself included, often resist it vehemently. But why? Why do we steadfastly reject change when we acknowledge its inevitability and recognize its healthiness? It’s the lure of familiarity. We have a deep-seated desire for routine and an unyielding need for consistency. Even for those who proclaim to embrace change, the acceptance and adaptation to it prove to be challenging.

Change is also such a scary concept; especially when you’re the kind of person who thrives in their comfort zone. Change puts pressure on you to overcome certain anxieties or insecurities, which we all dread.

However, the undeniable reality is that to truly engage with life, one must welcome change. At times, we are blinded by the notion that familiarity equates to correctness, preventing us from recognizing the necessity for change. The key to safeguarding oneself against the unpredictability of life is to master the skill of adapting to new conditions. Contrary to the apprehension it may initially evoke, change isn’t always negative; it can liberate you from toxic situations or challenging circumstances. While the prospect of change may seem daunting at first, delving into it enables a smoother navigation, fostering the ability to embrace and accept it. Occasionally, change is precisely what is required for personal growth and radiance. It can be a gift, even if it initially appears as a formidable curse.

Embracing change can evoke fear, a prevalent sentiment for many. The prospect of departing from the familiar, contemplating a fresh start, and venturing into uncharted territory can be daunting. It may feel like a formidable challenge. However, I believe there is a certain beauty in the process of change. It offers the chance for personal growth, fostering development as one navigates through unfamiliar circumstances. It compels individuals to metaphorically paint a new flower on the delicate china of their existence or embark on a new chapter in life. Despite this perspective, appreciating the positive aspects of change can be elusive when faced with it on the journey of life.

Nothing, including change, is perpetual. Life unfolds through a series of moments, varying in significance. Acknowledging that adaptation to change and transition has been a constant in your entire life, and reflecting on past experiences, can offer solace during challenging times. Cultivating mindfulness and appreciating the aspects of your life that persist can shift your perspective towards the positive. Drawing lessons from previous encounters and proactively making adjustments—such as updating your will, revising your resume, undergoing health screenings, or seeking advice from a financial advisor—can preempt future surprises. While substantial changes are inherently challenging, taking stock and momentarily distancing yourself from the situation may facilitate overcoming the difficulties, hastening your return to the more enjoyable aspects of life.Changes shape who you are as a person, with each event adding to your story and a new path you take on your journey. Some will be more difficult than others, but each will allow you to grow in unexpected ways. When enduring change, there is so much beauty to come. Whether it’s a new friend you’ll meet along the path, a shift in perspective, or something as simple as enjoying the change you resented. Accept the change you are experiencing or about to experience; you have no idea how it will improve your life.

Ritu is second-year Cognitive Science major at UCD. She enjoys working out, cooking, fashion and spending time with friends . Ritu is an advocate for self-love, mental health and spreading positivity & kindness. She is excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and hopes you enjoy reading her articles!