This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

In 2016, Hillary Clinton became the first woman to be nominated by a major political party. Even though she lost the presidential race (she still won the popular vote by over 3 million) she has stayed extremely politically active and involved in speaking out against inequality and supporting gun control, as well as campaigning for women’s reproductive rights. 

Unlike most male politicians, Clinton was looked at under a microscope. Every facial expression, outfit, tone, and word was scrutinized and studied by those who did not want to see her in the Oval Office. Her talents and intelligence were and are still constantly questioned. Her campaign showed how differently women are treated compared to men, yet her continuous grace, strength, and fight for what she believes in show us just how powerful and amazing women can be.

She taught me and many other women a lot throughout and after her campaign. She showed us how to deal with the #haters and stay rooted in yourself and what you think is right. She never got whiney and complained (although I probably would have if I was in her position). She was and is an inspiration to women and girls everywhere through her many years in politics. 

After her devastating loss, Hillary took some much deserved time to herself to recuperate and get out of the spotlight. This showed us how someone can still be powerful and strong while engaging in self-care and healing. After this time, she has bounced back and got back into speaking out about the current corrupt, racist, homophobic, and misogynistic political climate in the White House. 

Arguably, Hillary inspired and laid the path for the women who announced their presidency campaign for the 2020 election, including Kamala Harris, Elizabeth Warren, Kristen Gillibrand, and Amy Klobuchar. She inspired women to enter a mainly male-dominated sphere and show what they are capable of. 

I will always look to Hillary as a powerful woman who made history. I wish I could have lived in a world where she was my president. #alwayswithher 

Sasha is a 4th year at UC Davis majoring in American Studies and Communication with a minor in Chicano Studies. She also is on the Davis Club Water Polo team and in her spare time enjoys reading, tagging friends in memes, making friends that have dogs, and making Spotify playlists.