This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Between shaky performances from various artists, the always-questionable fashion, and the general over-prolonged awards ceremony, the 2016 Grammys went out more with a whimper than a bang. However, Taylor Swift, notorious for being the Internet’s favorite and least favorite person, had a notably better night than many of the other artists in attendance. Here are her five best moments: 

1. A Fabulous New Look

Great outfit complimented with a new hairdo made for a surprising, glamorous entrance. 

2. A Fun Friendship 

Selena Gomez dubbed Taylor her “date” for the night, and her support for her best friend seemed authentic and genuine (two words not often used in the Hollywood world). Selena even got emotional during Taylor’s speech! 

3. First Female EVER to Win Album of the Year Twice

Whether you hate her music, love her music, or are completely indifferent towards it, you can’t deny Taylor Swift’s impact. Not only that, but she has garnered a total of 10 Grammys now.

4. A Great Speech

Her short, empowering, and encouraging words invited females to continue to strive towards their goals no matter who troubles them along the way.  

5. She Continues to Strive for Better

Taylor Swift from the dawn of her career has gotten an enormous amount of hate. Many identified feminists are casting Taylor aside because of her “white feminism.” Now, a justified argument can be made that Swift is only grazing the top of feminist issues; it is undisputedly a valid argument. As a fan myself, I would love for her to gain a more intersectional framework that she can help popularize in the media. However, tearing Taylor down for things like her body, her voice, and her dating life isn’t really feminism either. Taylor continues to try and better herself, and as a fan, that is the greatest reward of all. 

Alexandra is a sophomore English major at UC Davis. She loves reading and writing, and her favorite things to do consist of playing her clarinet in the Band-Uh and talking about her dog, Bear.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!