Life > Experiences

Szalations: The Progression of “Normal Girl” to “Special”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Why is there a desire to be a “normal girl”? Is being the “normal girl” a bad thing? Must we shut out our “special” to achieve the “normal girl”? How can I use these two opposing concepts to understand myself better? Here are the revelations I’ve had regarding the conversation between SZA’s songs “Normal Girl” from her debut album “Ctrl” (2017) and “Special” from her new album “SOS” (2022). 

In “Normal Girl,” we’re introduced to a girl who initially desires to be just like everybody else. She yearns to be the type of girl that parents love, that keeps her cool around the guys she likes, and who her boyfriend wants to show off to his friends. Throughout the song, she molds, conforms and amplifies parts of herself to fit this definition of “normal.”

We’ve all experienced this when we were younger or even now. There’s a desire to conform to what we see as normal, just like when we were in high school trying to fit in with the newest trends or even as we enter the corporate world. We try to fit these molds to look like everyone else, but after a while, aren’t we all just stuck in a cycle mimicking each other?

In “Special,” we’re given the aftermath of the “normal girl.” She strived to be ‘that girl,’ the it girl, the perfect girl, but she realized that being like everyone else wasn’t all that it was cracked up to be. She ends up regretting the fact that she lost herself in the process of trying to make someone else happy. 

Although SZA portrays the “normal girl” as a negative thing, there are things that we can learn from by realizing that we are all the “normal girl” at the end of the day. Whenever I talk about being just like everyone else, people always think I’m being insecure or hating that fact, but it’s actually a comforting thought.

We all need to realize that we have both the “normal girl” and the “special girl” in us. There will always be someone that looks like you, has the same interests as you, or acts like you. What makes you irreplaceable and different is your “special girl.” The “normal girl” is what connects us to other people through interests, values, and desires. The “special girl” gives us that extra indescribable oomph. 

Last summer, I picked up the hobby of collecting tiny figurines from blind boxes where you don’t know which figurine you’re getting from the given series you picked. I also developed an avid interest in hunting for merchandise that features Sanrio’s Kuromi character. In September, I also decided to go blonde because it’s something that I’ve wanted to do for a year now. 

All of these interests or characteristics are easily found in other people, but those are the things that I use to connect with other people. I’ve recommended so many of my friends to my hair stylist. I always like stories and swipe up to gush about the cutest Sonny Angel or Smiski figurine. I always compliment anyone who has anything Kuromi themed. My “normal girl” can be found in so many others, but that’s what creates a community.

I know that my “special girl” consists of being insanely weird and childish, but also insightful and analytical. You might be unable to pinpoint your oomph, but we all have one. It’s a matter of nurturing that oomph while developing your “normal girl.”

In my opinion, being a “normal girl” isn’t a negative thing, but forgoing everything to be a “normal girl” is. You might lose your way sometimes. I know I have, but I find it so important to find it again and center yourself. 

Amy Yu

UCD '25

Amy Yu is a second-year UC Davis student majoring in Computer Science. In her free time, she enjoys "grandma crafts," discovering new songs, and organizing her life on Notion.