Student-Friendly Vegan Recipes Under $10

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Now more than ever, cheap and easy recipes that are also delicious are essential to have as students. With economic worries of the pandemic, students desperately need affordable recipes to count on when going grocery shopping. With that being said, here are a few quick and easy vegan recipes that will not break the bank and will keep you full all day:

Breakfast: Steel-Cut Oats

Ingredients:

●  1 cup of steel-cut oats (feel free to use rolled oats)

●  Three cups of water

●  Grounded cinnamon (optional)

●  2 ripe bananas

●  1 tsp of brown sugar

●  1⁄4 cup of soy milk

●  1⁄4 cup of berries

●  1 tablespoon of plain seed or (optional)

●  2 tablespoons of plain nuts (optional)

●  2 Medjool Dates (optional)

Instructions:

1. Place three cups of water in a medium-size pot and cook oats on a medium flame.

2. Stir frequently to ensure your oats do not burn.

3. Add a dash of cinnamon to oatmeal.

Note:​ If your oats are running out of the water, add more as needed. Depending on the type of oats you are using it can take you three minutes to fifteen minutes to cook your oats. (Rolled oats cook faster than steel-cut oats.)

4. In a small bowl, add a very ripe banana and smush with a fork until the banana looks like baby food, this will sweeten your oatmeal.

5. Place cooked oats over the banana and mix the banana and oatmeal. Note:​ Feel free to use whatever topping you would like. This is the time for you to be creative! Use what you have at home.

Lunch: Tacos Dorado’s de Papa (Fried Potato Tacos)

Ingredients:

●  2 Lbs Yukon Gold Potatoes, scrubbed and peeled

●  2 Tablespoons Vegan Butter {you could use olive oil too}

●  Salt and Pepper to Taste

●  14 Corn Tortillas

●  3/4 Cup Canola Oil

●  Vegan Sour Cream (optional)

●  Salsa (optional)

Instructions:

1. Cut the potatoes and place them into a big pot of hot salted water with a lid on top. Cook them until they are tender (about 15-20 minutes).

2. Once the potatoes are done, drain them and move them into the pot again. Add your butter (or olive oil) with salt and pepper. Mash the potatoes and set them aside.

3. Heat a skillet over medium heat, and warm the corn tortillas for about 15 seconds on each one of the sides.

4. When the tortillas are warm, add about 2 tablespoons of potatoes on each tortilla. Fold it in half.

Note:​ You can use a toothpick to hold the tortilla together.

1. In a big frying pan, heat the oil over high heat, and in small batches, add the tacos into the

oil.

2. Cook for about 3 minutes on each side or until they are golden brown and once they are

fried, move them to a paper-lined plate.

3. Remove the toothpick, garnish with vegan sour cream and salsa, add salt to taste, and enjoy!

Dinner: Green Enchiladas

Ingredients:

●  5 Tomatillos (Mexican husk tomato)

●  2 Green Thai Peppers

●  1 Poblano pepper

●  Cilantro

●  Olive Oil

●  Onions

●  Vegan Sour cream (optional)

●  Vegan Butter

●  Vegan Cheese (optional)

●  Tortillas

●  Potatoes

Directions:

1. Rinse all vegetables and cilantro. Add your tomatillos, green Thai peppers, poblano pepper, and cilantro in a blender (save some cilantro for garnish).

2. Add olive oil to a hot pot. Wait until the oil is hot until placing the green salsa.

3. While waiting for the salsa to boil, boil 3 large potatoes. Once the potatoes are

completely cooked, mash them in a bowl; add salt and vegan butter to taste.

4. Place two tablespoons of the mashed potatoes in the center of the tortilla and roll them.

Place rolled-up tortillas with the potato mixture in a cooking tray.

5. Pour the hot sauce on the tacos and place them in the oven for 10 min at 350 degrees.

6. Take out and garnish with vegan sour cream, vegan cheese, and cilantro.

Photo by One Shot from Pexels
    Along with the recipes, those who qualify should apply for ​CalFresh​, also known as SNAP, or formally known as EBT. CalFresh provides money to low-income families and students who meet federal income eligibility rules and would like to get more money towards groceries. Being a low-income college student myself, quick, cheap, and easy vegan-friendly recipes are important. I hope you all enjoy it!

Nancy is a fourth-year Communication and Political Science- Public Service Double Major at the University of California, Davis. She enjoys spending time with family, friends and her dog named Luna. Her experience of growing up in a Mexican household in Silicon Valley inspired her to be a curious leader and prompted her passion for technology, public service, and social impact. She strives to utilize her project management and communication skillsets to work with cross-functional teams and lead social change projects. She is currently seeking employment opportunities within technology.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!