Struggling With Burnout? Watch These Shows and Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

With the start of a new quarter comes new stress. A whole new set of classes, studying, homework, midterms, finals, and more. We are also so close to summer and warmer weather, and both of these things can make it harder to focus on being in school. We are also so close to the end of the school year, and after already completing two quarters, burnout can be very real right now. When I start to experience burnout, there are a couple of things that I do to help alleviate it. One of those things is putting on an inspiring TV show or movie. Watching a movie or show about a powerful person pursuing their dreams and working hard can really help to put you in a more positive mindset. Below are five of my favorite movies and TV shows that help me push through burnout. 

The first is the show Scandal. The main character, Olivia Pope, is a hard-working, smart, powerful woman who is able to think quickly on her feet and is a total boss. The way that she is able to make decisions and lead a team is inspiring. After watching the show, I find myself walking taller, and feeling ready to take on any challenge that may come my way. 

The second is the movie On the Basis of Sex. This is a biopic about the late Ruth Bader Ginsburg and the story of her life. It takes you from the beginning, with Ginsburg as a law student, all the way through her court cases that helped her land a seat as a Supreme Court Justice. This movie is a great female empowerment movie, and will definitely make you love RBG more than you probably already do. It also makes you feel empowered to continue your education and fight for what is right. 

Another empowering movie to watch is Hidden Figures. This movie is based on the true story of three Black women who fought for their place in STEM working at NASA in the 1960s. The story of these three women is so inspirational, and really makes me want to work hard to achieve my dreams. 

Gilmore Girls walking through Fall Festival
Warner Bros. Television

A TV show that may be surprising to be on this list is Gilmore Girls. While I usually prefer to watch this in the fall, because the vibe it has is definitely a fall vibe, I will still watch it whenever I need some academic inspiration. The main character, Rory Gilmore, is always studying and working on her education, in the first couple of seasons at least. Watching her study will make you want to do it too. So many times after watching an episode of this show, I will find myself sitting down to study with a hot cup of coffee. 

Lastly, my holy grail of empowering movies to get through burnout, Legally Blonde. I have watched this movie so many times throughout my college career I can probably recite the whole movie. Anytime I start to feel defeated over school or feel like I am not good enough for something, I turn on this movie. Watching Elle Woods be who she is, while also crushing it academically and in the courtroom, is something that always makes me feel better and ready to take on anything. 

Next time you are feeling burnt out, whether with school, work, or just life in general, I hope you give one of these a watch. These inspirational stories and characters are sure to get you out of a funk, and into the headspace to conquer your dreams. 

Sofia Gonzalez is a fourth year student at UC Davis. She is majoring in psychology with a minor in education. When not working on school, she enjoys reading, watching Netflix, and listening to Taylor Swift.