This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Drink up on that H2O collegiettes! Staying hydrated is an important part of maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Water can make up to 60% of an adult’s and 75% of an infant’s body weight, more than half of what you’re made of!

But how much water should you drink every day? You may have heard all sorts of different recommendations such as drinking 8 glasses of water a day or 30 to 50 ounces of water each day. The truth is that different people need different amounts of water to stay hydrated. While some healthy individuals may need less than 8 glasses, others may need more. Certain medical conditions like  diabetes or heart disease and variables like your clothing, the day’s temperature, and perspiration can all determine how much water you’ll need for the day.

Dehydration can be defined as a 1% or greater loss of body mass due to fluid loss. The consequences of dehydration can range from headaches, swollen feet, or even life threatening conditions like heat stroke. The greatest risk for dehydration is often when you are in warm or dry environments and go prolonged periods without drinking fluids. This can include the amount of time you spend in air conditioned classrooms. Exercise and enduring hot outdoor temperatures may also cause you to lose additional fluids. While the phrase “being dehydrated”  is tossed around a  lot, it’s immensly important to be aware of your water intake and outtake. Being dehydrated can lead to fainting even if you are perfectly healthy!

There are many indicators of dehydration. These include little to no urine or urine that is darker than usual, dry mouth, sleepiness, extreme thirst, or headaches. Not being able to sweat during vigorous exercise or hot temperatures is another major red flag. It may even signal the development of heat exhaustion.

For most people, water is usually the best option for staying hydrated. Other drinks and foods like fruits, vegetables, milk, broths, or teas can help you stay hydrated. However, alternatives to water often come with extra calories or added sugar. For this reason, you should avoid sports drinks with electrolytes unless you’re an athlete. Drinks with caffeine or alcohol act as diuretics, which makes you urinate more and therefore lose more fluids. Sadly, coffee may not be the answer to this problem.

Concerned about drinking too much water? Abnormal body water retention can result in an imbalance of blood sodium, which then leads to liver disease, kidney problems, and even heart failure. Thankfully, over-hydrating is very rare.

As always, remember to indulge in self-care. Whether it’s excruciatingly hot or freezing cold outside, sip some water!

Enya Meng is a junior at UC Davis studying Clinical Nutrition with a minor in English. She aspires to become a registered dietitian working with patients with eating disorders. Her favorite things to do include reading, writing short stories, and experimenting with new recipes.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!