Staying Cool in Davis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Spring quarter may be half over but summer seems to have arrived much too early. I haven’t even had time to pack my winter clothes and dig up my summer dresses. With the nice weather, it’s much harder to wake up and go to class. It’s not difficult to pick between sitting under a tree in the Arboretum or in a stiff chair in a stuffy classroom. That’s a no-brainer, the stuffy classroom, of course!

With the rising temperatures messing with our heads, finding someplace to relax in relative comfort (and air conditioning) is a must. I don’t know about you, but whenever the temperature rises over 85, I start to melt like the Wicked Witch of the West. It’s not a pretty sight (just ignore the girl passed out on the side of the street. I’m fine). So, with extensive research as well as my own experience, I have compiled a list of cool-down spots scattered throughout Davis that will hopefully alleviated those pesky sweat glands.

Mondavi Center: You know that really nice building in Timbuktu that you’ve heard about but probably have no clue about? Yep, that’s the Mondavi center. What’s great about this little UC Davis gem is that not only can you see ballerinas one day and musical symphonies the next, all students get half-off tickets. And even better, freshmen and transfer students get their first ticket free. But to top it all off, they have free air-conditioning. You really can’t beat that.

Rec Pool: Calling all water fanatics and those who want to tan. With the rec pool up and running, you can come take a dip and soak up some vitamin D. As you get your tan on, you can also soak in all the hotties walking around. It’s a win-win for you.

Bohart Museum of Entomology: What makes this museum cool? Their bugs! I’m not a lover of particular bugs and creepy crawler (cough, spiders, cough) but they have such a variety of species that it’s worth a look. You might walk away with a better feeling towards them.

Tea List: This cozy place is perfect for an intimate chat or girl time. Nestled between D and E Streets, you momentarily forget you’re still downtown. Chill out with some lemonade or iced tea and let the tickles of a fountain cool you off. If you’re feeling fancy, try their high tea.

Yogurt: With at least five different yogurt selections, your appetite for this yummy desert shall always be appeased. Plus, it’s a healthier alternative to eating ice cream as you get set to look amazing for summer.

Movie Tuesday: With cold sodas and the temperature colder than the Artic, you will forget you had heat stroke earlier that day. Even better, if you didn’t know, Tuesdays are all $5.00 (movie must be at least 2 weeks old). Team that up with a yogurt date and these rising temps will be bearable.

Sunset walk in the Arboretum: Who doesn’t like the Arboretum at this time? Feed the ducks (lettuce not bread) as you take in a pleasant breeze and dream of summer vacation. Walk towards the end and take in the aroma of the flower garden.

Davis Musical Theater Company: If you’re in to theater, the DMTC is a great place to watch CHEAP Broadway shows. Students can get a discounted ticket. Check out their lineup and see if any of your favorites are playing. 

Jessica is currently studying Graphic Design and Psychology at UC Davis. She hopes to one day move to New York and work for a fashion or fitness magazine. When she is not dreaming about her life in New York, she is either running, watching shows on hulu, socializing or baking cupcakes. She loves anything that will make her laugh, sunny days  and everything purple!