bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Spilling the Beans on the “Freshman 15”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

It’s no secret that weight gain is a reality many college students face year after year. In case you have never heard about it, the “Freshman 15” refers to the supposed average weight students gain in their first year of college. Coming in, a first-year may not be able to think about all the reasons why the higher numbers on the scale occur. And, although it may not be easy to prevent it, there are many ways to keep yourself healthy and happy for the best four years of your life here at UC Davis.

One of the biggest reasons this weight gain tends to happen is the change in environment. Not knowing the area, the lack of familiar faces, and stress from school can all add to the potential extra pounds. From trying out Burgers and Brew with your sorority sisters for dinner to biking over to Crepeville for lunch with dorm friends, before you know it you are eating out every meal. A tip is to set a strict limit for yourself as to how many times you can eat out per week. Not only will this prevent you from eating too much processed food, it will also save you a couple of dollars every week. You’ll then be able to use that money to pay for the overpriced textbooks you have to buy. #collegekidproblems

At UC Davis, our dining commons offer plenty of healthy meal options, from fresh fruit grown in our student garden to the salad bar with super fresh ingredients. The problem? It is designed as an unlimited, buffet-style cafeteria. When you can’t choose between the Chinese food and pizza, you realize you have no reason to hold back and only eat one. So don’t! You can practice portion control to prevent yourself from eating too much and becoming overly full. Eat a little bit of everything you are craving and add fruits and veggies where you can!

Everyone who has heard of Davis knows we have more bikes than people. So, generally, it can be very easy to stay fit here. In addition, our gym, the ARC (Activities Recreation Center) is a great place to socialize and get a great workout in. Get to know your roommate(s) and people on your floor by getting them to join you for a game of basketball or even a quick ab workout session. For many, it is easier to actually get active when there are other people with them. If you prefer some peace and quiet, go for a run in the arboretum or through campus. We are lucky enough to have such a beautiful campus, so make sure to use it to your advantage!

The dreaded “Freshman 15” is a phenomenon that has racked up fear from both men and women. However, according to studies over the years, women have been shown to gain more weight on average than their male peers. Knowing this, it is important to know that this time period is a crucial time to practice self-love. Going to college is a hard transition for many and it is okay to gain a few pounds in the process of becoming a more independent young adult. Remember, it is okay to have some Ben and Jerry’s on a hard day, just make it your goal to be healthy and comfortable with your body. Know that numbers do not define you, and your memories are far more important than the stress that can be associated with weight. Your experience at UC Davis will be far more enjoyable if you are happy and healthy!

This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!