Small-Screen Obsessions: The Shows I Can’t Get Enough Of

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

In a world dominated by screens and streaming services, I have come across a multitude of shows, some of which have captured my interest right from the pilot episode. Whether they have been shows I have adored for years or recent watches within the past few months, each one goes beyond mere entertainment – leaving an undeniable mark on my viewing experience. With four shows in particular, here is the cultivated list of the shows that have captivated my attention from start to finish.

• Lost: 
    • Hailed for having the greatest pilot episode in TV history, Lost was my first introduction to truly astounding television. With the storyline following a group of people stuck on a deserted island after surviving an airplane crash, its fast-paced script kept me on the edge of my seat from the very beginning. Filled with some of the most shocking twists and turns, its engaging plot showcased a side of mystery and suspense that I had never witnessed before. Despite its controversial and heavily debated ending, its six-season run revolutionized television by being one of the first shows that caused viewers to come together to dissect episodes and predict theories. By changing the way television media was consumed, Lost has remained a cultural phenomenon and is still debated to be one the greatest shows of all time.
  • The O.C.:
    • Known as one of the most prominent teen dramas from the 2000s, The O.C. is a California dream, taking place in the tumultuous world of Newport Beach. Viewers are immediately introduced to Ryan Atwood (Ben McKenzie), the troubled, roughed-up boy who grew up on the wrong side of the tracks. As he is taken in by the Cohen family, he is forced to become accustomed to the glamorized, rich-kid lifestyle alongside his newfound “brother,” Seth Cohen (Adam Brody). With a flawless mix of drama, love, humor, and friendships, The O.C. has become a standout in the realm of teen dramas and has been one of my personal favorites to revisit.
  • Sex and the City:
    • Nearly two decades after its run, Sex and the City remains a timeless classic in pop culture for women all around the world. Through the eyes of fashion icon Carrie Bradshaw (Sarah Jessica Parker) and her three friends, it demonstrates an unapologetic depiction of female friendships while skillfully tackling taboo subjects with humor and sophistication. From the bustling city of Manhattan to the luxurious portrayals of fashion, the glamorous plot of four women living life to the fullest in the big city immerses the audience to live vicariously through them. By being unapologetically authentic, Sex and the City has become a comfort show of mine, as its overall allure continues to entertain audiences years later.
  • Seinfeld: 
    • Often dubbed as “the show about nothing”, I ultimately consider Seinfeld to be my favorite sitcom of all time. Revolving around a fictionalized version of himself, Jerry Seinfeld showcases the daily quirks of his life alongside his best friend George (Jason Alexander), former girlfriend Elaine (Julia Louis-Dreyfus), and his free-spirited neighbor, Kramer (Michael Richards). Compared to other popularized sitcoms, Seinfeld broke away from the formulaic storytelling and decided to explore the beauty of the ordinary. With brilliantly flawed characters, it became one of the first shows to make viewers empathize with them by showing their most unlikable characteristics. The distinctive blend of stand-up comedy mixed with observational humor and structured storytelling completely changed the way that sitcoms were written. Due to these unique characteristics, its influence still shines through over three decades later. 

Big or small, each one of these shows has left a prominent impact in the realm of television history. From light-hearted sitcoms to intensely packed dramas, there’s a little bit of everything to garner enjoyment from audiences. Regardless, if you have even the slightest bit of free time, consider immersing yourself in the remarkable journey that these shows have to offer – maybe you’ll come across a new favorite of your own.

Noor is a 3rd year student at UC Davis majoring in Communication with a minor in Accounting. She enjoys watching movies, going on walks, and spending time with her friends. She is excited to be apart of the HerCampus team and looks forward to incorporating her interests and experiences into her articles.