Gilmore Girls walking through Fall Festival
Warner Bros. Television
Life > Experiences

6 Life Lessons My Mom Taught Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

My mother is one of the strongest and most intelligent women I know. She’s the first person I go to when I’m having a bad day, and she always knows exactly what to say to make me feel better. Whatever the issue is, she always has something to say to guide me. Throughout my life, she has instilled her values within me while also allowing me to figure out my own. I learned a lot of things from my mom, but the life lessons that she has taught me are the ones that shaped and continue to shape me as a person; these lessons are something that I built my morals with. Her lessons help me navigate my life, and this is a list of six lessons that I particularly keep close to my heart. 

1. Don’t ever compromise on what’s important to you. 

My mom’s biggest and best lesson she taught me was that you should never compromise on something that you want in life, you need to work like hell to achieve it and never give up. She says that compromising is giving in, and giving in to someone or something else is the worst thing I can do for myself. No matter how difficult something is to achieve, I need to do everything in my power to be successful. She taught me that compromising yourself and your ambition is the easiest way to lose self-respect. When you give up, you lose a part of yourself, and life is about building yourself up, not putting yourself down. 

2. Kill them with Kindness.

I’ve heard the saying “kill them with kindness” a lot, and it’s a trendy saying, however, I never really knew what it meant until my mom put it into perspective. She taught me Kindness is the biggest strength I have. If someone is being mean or doing me wrong, be kind, and they’ll learn their lesson eventually. She taught me there is no reason to react angrily or yell and cause a commotion; being kind throughout is the way to go. She told me that I don’t have to pick fights or prove my point. Being kind to someone who’s being wrong makes them look stupid, and that’s how you win.

3. You don’t need anyone’s approval.

My mom always told me that the biggest supporter you have is yourself. If you think you look good, you don’t need anyone telling you otherwise. She always says not to care about anyone’s opinion about me or how I look or dress. She taught me that confidence comes from within me, and if I’m confident that I’m doing something right, then I don’t need anyone’s approval. 

4. Be careful with your words.

The importance of words is something my mom drilled into my head. She says that you can never take back what you say, so you always have to think before speaking. Words have the strongest impact on someone, and you must choose them carefully. 

5. Independence earns you respect. 

My mom has been independent all her life. She was her guide through her life, and she was her own boss. She made her own decisions and did her own tasks, she never asked for help, and if she didn’t know how to do something, she learned how to do it herself. She told me that independence earns you respect. Being able to do your job and not depending on others is a way for you to live an honest and respectful life, let the job be anything. Even today, if I don’t know how to do something, she’ll sit there with me until I figure it out on my own. She’s there for guidance, but ultimately, she wants me to navigate my challenges and problems alone so I don’t have to depend on anyone else but myself. 

6. Life goes on, and it always gets better.

My mom taught me that I should never let anything keep me from moving on with my life. She told me to apply this to everything in my life. Broke up with a boyfriend? Take the time you need to heal but move on because you’ll find someone better. Failed a test? You did what you did, learned from it, and moved on. She taught me that life goes on, one roadblock isn’t the end of it all, and you have to use everything in your power to move on because life always gets better. 

I am second year student majoring in Cognitive Science and minoring in Computer Science at UC Davis. In my free time, I like to watch movies, try new coffee shops and go on walks.