Simran Grewal: ASUCD Chief of Staff and Public Health Advocate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Meet Simran Grewal. She grew up in a small town, did a lot in high school, and people told her that the reason she accomplished so much was because there wasn’t much competition. There weren’t many people to challenge her so she decided to keep the momentum up and prove to herself and the people doubting her.

Hometown: Williams, Ca. #goyellowjackets

Year: Sophomore

Major: NPB

Zodiac Sign: Aries

Favorite Food: Taquitos, anything from Davis’ own dumpling house and cupcakes (really into cupcakes).

Favorite Movie: I want to say The Notebook, but that sounds too basic. I lowkey cried.

So now that we got the basics out of the way, lets talk about some other things you have done. You mentioned you like to be a leader and keep yourself busy.

How are you involved on campus?

Well, I serve as fundraising coordinator for Imani clinic. I’m also the public relations director for the public health club on campus. Last year, I joined the board of Sher Alliance (shout out to the brown squad). I’m also involved with student government, and currently serve as Chief of Staff for the ASUCD Vice President—and I’m Vice Chair of the Internal Affairs Commission. I’m also running as a candidate for Fall 2016 Senate Elections!

WOW! You do so much, what do you hope accomplish?

Well, one of my biggest platforms is to encourage S.T.E.M. students to apply for ASUCD and become more involved with student government. I want people to venture out and feel that they too can be involved with ASUCD. I think that because I feel that there is a lack of communication and awareness between students and Administration. The lack of access to admin, at the undergrad level, can be seen on campus and I wish to change that. It’s really hard to make a change without having some type of title.

Why is this something you’re passionate about?

Well I have a lot of my own platforms that I wish to accomplish. My Public Health platform is to establish a public health major/minor on campus. We have such a strong masters of public health, but no undergrad major or minor.

My second platform is Library—to extend library hours during finals week to having it be open 24 hours. It’s open until 2 am anyway, so if you add 5 more hours for 5 days 3 times a year, that’s only 15 days of extra hours.

Goal in 10 years, what do you see yourself doing?

I see myself running a clinic in a small town. I’m from a small town where everyone knows each other’s families; Davis was a culture shock for me. The reason I want a to run a clinic is because of how hard it was to receive medical attention in a small town. Just to get your physical was a day’s task because there weren’t many doctors around, and just a basic getting an approval to play a sport was such a hard thing to do.

Fun Fact? I pitched an orange at Giants Stadium, I was 12 and my parents were attending a conference and I didn’t have a baseball. So I pitched an orange.

Relationship status? That’s a secret I’ll never tell XOXO-Gossip Girl.

A place you would like to go visit? It would be really cool to go to Colombia. My friend went to visit her aunt, and she came back with really cool pictures and I promised I would go with her one day. (It was a promise from a long time ago).

What is something you want to do before you graduate? Try every single item on the CoHo menu. I should say I want to try every machine at the ARC, but I’m a bit too lazy, and, well, food is life.

I'm 21 years old from Manteca California and majoring in international relations at University of California Davis. I'm aspiring to become a lawyer! I love Bhangra, family, friends and event planning and during dinner one night I decided with my best friends why not have a bhangra competition at UC Davis. Fun fact about me, I love to travel, and my immediate family is in 14 different countries.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!