This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

I’ve never been a huge fan of traditional ASMR with people talking, but as a lover of all things cooking and food related, I’m really drawn to food-related ASMR videos! The cooking aspect is fun for me to watch and draw inspiration from, and the calming, creative way that these videos are filmed is an added bonus. Whenever I really have trouble sleeping at night or feel very anxious, these videos are my go-to. Since most people’s stress levels are especially high right now given the situation, and a lot of people might find themselves having to cook more than normal because we’re stuck inside, this video genre is perfect for this point in time. Not only do they help you de-stress, but the creative, fun recipes can also hopefully give you some inspiration to change up your quarantine cooking routine! Below are four of my favorite channels from this genre. 

1. Cooking Tree

I’ve never been a huge fan of traditional ASMR with people talking, but as a lover of all things cooking and food related, I’m really drawn to food-related ASMR videos. The cooking aspect is fun for me to watch and draw inspiration from, and the calming, creative way that these videos are filmed is an added bonus. Whenever I really have trouble sleeping at night or feel very anxious, these videos are my go-to. Since most people’s stress levels are especially high right now given the situation, and a lot of people might find themselves having to cook more than normal because we’re stuck inside, this video genre is perfect for this point in time. Not only do they help you de-stress, but the creative, fun recipes can also hopefully give you some inspiration to change up your quarantine cooking routine! Below are four of my favorite channels from this genre.

Spoon Csu-Mixing Bowl Whisk
Brooke Buchan / Spoon

2. One Meal a Day

Dedicated to teaching people to make simple Korean snacks and meals with short, cute videos, One Meal a Day is a channel that I often find myself saving recipes from to try making later. With slightly less of a traditional ASMR vibe than the previous channel, this is still a great channel to watch if you find yourself wanting to make simple comfort food with ingredients that you most likely already have. This would also be a great channel if you’re very new to cooking and need to add easy recipes to your quarantine repertoire.

3. cafeslave Jun

I am really fascinated by cafe culture in East Asia, and often find myself feeling jealous of all of the cute themed cafes and restaurants that they have over there. Although I unfortunately won’t be making any trips to Japan or South Korea any time soon, at least there are plenty of cafe vlog channels that exist for me to vicariously experience these cute spaces for the time being. While cafe vlogs may be less practical for a home chef to learn from (many of them use equipment and tools that you probably don’t have at home), they are a really intriguing video genre and always fun and calming to watch. Even though I usually just zone out and relax when I watch these videos, they do sometimes give me ideas for creative ways to make my daily caffeine fix.

Photo by Alexandra Golovac on Unsplash

4. Sound Croquette

With videos on everything from fried mozzarella sticks to Oreo Cheesecake Cookies, Sound Croquette has a little bit of something for everyone, and is a lot more broad content-wise than the previous channels. Most of their videos have no talking, but some include whispering for people who are into traditional voice-ASMR. The thing I love about this channel is that the filming style makes it very easy to see what the chef is doing, making it easy for someone at home to copy the recipe if they want to. Also, none of the recipes are too complex, and ingredients are usually listed throughout the videos, making it easy for a viewer to follow along. This is definitely a great channel if you’re looking for new things to make. 

Sarah is currently pursuing a degree in Design (with a focus in UI/UX design and graphic design) and a minor in communications. After graduation, she hopes to work in app design/production or packaging and marketing design. In her free time, she can probably be found reading, painting, exercising, dancing, or cooking and exploring new restaurants with her friends.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!