Silo Food & My All Time Favs

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

As someone that spends the majority of their day on campus, I’ve learned that it’s typically more convenient to grab food at the Silo food trucks. Meal prepping the night prior takes way longer, and I never remember to bring the food I have prepared with me. It’s also hard to find ways to keep my food cool for the entire day, especially staying on campus from 9 AM to 5 PM. Because of this, I’ve compiled a list of my all-time favorite spots at the Silo.

1. Shah’s Halal: A classic staple to the UC Davis campus, Shah’s Halal serves Halal-certified Mediterranean food with various proteins including chicken, lamb, and falafel. To-goers can choose between spicy or not spicy, and each meal is served over rice and with salad. This balanced meal is perfect for those looking for an easy and warm lunch or dinner at the Silo.
  2. Star Ginger: This food truck features Southeast Asian cuisine, and has a variety of dishes such as rice bowls, noodles salads, banh mi, and Thai teas. Personally, I love their Thai chicken BBQ rice bowls, which are packed with flavor. The Thai chicken is seasoned extremely well, and the rice allows for a harmonious balance between the two. I also love their sweet potato fries!
  3. Jojo’s Hawaiian Fried Chicken: A fairly newer food truck, I went into this place with low expectations, but was pleasantly surprised with their food. As someone who was born in Honolulu and spent many summers in Hawaii, I thought that their loaded fries were really good! The fried chicken was very moist and pulled apart easily, and the fries neutralized the two, allowing for the perfect pairing.
  4. Smokin Ewe BBQ: A gourmet-style meal, this food truck is perfect if you’re looking to get a more protein-filled lunch or dinner. The menu features a protein like BBQ beef, lamb, or pork, in tacos, burgers, or fries. As someone who loves french fries, I fell in love with their loaded fries with smoked brisket when I had it for the first time. The ratio of all ingredients was perfect, and the brisket was tender and melted in my mouth.
  5. Silo: Within the Silo, there are a couple of places that I enjoy, including the Boar’s Head Sandwich shop and La Crepe. At the Boar’s Head Sandwich shop, I usually get ham or turkey as my protein as well as Silo sauce. At La Crepe, I personally get sweet crepes (the banana and Nutella one is my absolute favorite) although I’ve also tried the cheese, broccoli, and ham savory crepe as well and it was really delicious! Both food options are consistently there, rather than the food trucks which are all changing.

Overall, there are so many good options for food trucks at UC Davis, especially at the Silo! We all need a study break sometimes, and sometimes it can be good to get sustenance in our bodies and to nourish ourselves. The food trucks are also in a convenient location, So the next time you’re on campus, try one of the food trucks at the Silo! Because you never know, you might just find the perfect spot for you.

Hi! I'm Joanne, a Design student at the University of California, Davis! In my free time I enjoy indulging in my many hobbies/crafts (painting, jewelry making, decorating), curling up in bed with my stuffed animals and scrolling on my phone, going thrifitng and shopping for clothing, and hanging out with friends.