Shreya Gupta, President of the Indian Student Association

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Shreya Gupta

Graduating Year: 2016

Major: Biological Sciences with an NPB emphasis (Neurobiology, Physiology and Behavior)

Hometown: San Jose, California

Biggest Strength: Good at time management

Biggest Weakness: Saying no to people

What organizations are you involved with on campus?

Indian Student Association (ISA), UC Davis Pre-Health Student Alliance (UCDPHSA), and Hastings Lab

What made you interested in ISA?

I had always gone to their events freshmen and sophomore year. I wanted to be more involved after my sophomore year so I applied to be on board as Director of Internal Affairs. I had a lot of fun and met amazing people. I realized that I loved being behind the scenes for the events we put on and I enjoyed my experience last year a lot. I applied to be on board again, but this time as President.

What are your goals for ISA this year?

We would really like to get more people involved and broaden the types of events we do. ISA has always been a fun, social club and we would host cultural events. Recently, we have been addressing more issues in the South Asian community. We did a talk during ME/SA (the Middle East/South Asian program) week last year and addressed shadism [the discrimination of individuals based on their skin tone]. It was a safe place for anyone to discuss their interaction with this issue and we had an amazing turn out. We have a new officer position, the Director of Community Affairs, who will keep in contact with ME/SA so we can hopefully hold more events like this in the future. 

What do you love most about this organization?

I’ve heard so many people [say that] they’ve met their best friends through ISA. Freshman year, I made friends with a couple people during ISA’s general meeting and they ended up being my roommates for the last three years. We bonded over ISA events and I think it’s amazing that we can kindle these relationships. I know the people I’ve met through ISA are lifelong friends and I can count on them for anything.

What’re your plans for the future?

After I finish up my undergrad at Davis, I want to go to med school and become a pediatrician.

Fondest memory at Davis?

Honestly, there are so many great memories I have at Davis. I love how I can walk around and see my friends everywhere. It’s such a college town and everyone is so friendly. It’s such a different environment coming from a big city Like San Jose. Over here, everyone knows everyone.

If you could go back and change anything, what would you change and why?

I would have scheduled better freshmen year. I wish I stayed on top of my core classes in my earlier years and planned my courses better. I heard that college was the time to take fun, interesting classes—which I did. But I wish I had a more set schedule so I would be able to pursue a minor and take those “cool” classes later.

Any advice for anybody reading this?

Make the most of your college experience. School is a main prioity, but it’s also important to hang out with your friends. The friends you make in your undergrad career aren’t the same as the friends you make in grad school, at work, or later on in life. It’s a special type of bond. Make connections and take advantage of opportunities offered to you.

Hey everyone! My name is Chandni and I first came to Davis as a transfer student. Now that I'm in my final year, I've learned a lot about campus life in a really short amount of time. I'm an economics and psychology major and I love animals! I love meeting new people, so if you ever see me around, come over and say hi! :)
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!