This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.
Freshman: I know what it is, but what do I do with it?
Before college, you wonder: what will the boys be like? what kind of things do college boys look for in a college girl? and what will they be expecting from me? All these thoughts flying through your head can be intimidating and, admit it, just plain scary.

But then Welcome Week hits, and that fear is quickly muffled by the sweet sweet sound of some college mackin’. This year, you learn which boys entice you most –and by spring quarter, you’re their girl. Groupie? Maybe. But you don’t care; you’re having fun, getting your way, and stealing a few hearts in the process. And as the new girl on the block, boy does the attention feel good.

Sophomore: Year of the IT Girl

By your second year in college, you think you have it down. You’ve weeded out the bad hook-ups, have created your very own “friends with benefits” facebook friends group (you know, just in case you need to send a late-night impromptu chat), and you’ve started your little black book of the boys you want to “conquer” sometime between now and graduation. And girl, have you got game.

You don’t just attend parties this year –your apartment or house is the party. That said, your bedroom is just a few drunken smooches away, and you keep this in mind when creating the facebook guest list. However, if your residence isn’t the party headquarters you aren’t worried either; you can sex it up safely, knowing your girlfriend’s got your back, playing chauffeur the next morning wherever you end up.

Junior: SHE’s Just Not That Into YOU
With college half-way completed, you expect to be at least half-way satisfied with the boys you’ve hooked up with. Not so. By this point, you just want that consistent hook-up. However, over two hook-ups seems to be synonymous with “ball-and chain” to college boys these days. Is it really hard to believe that maybe the sex was just that good that we want to keep up the appearances in eachother’s beds?

By the time you’re legal (in an “I’m-ready-for-Vegas” kind of way, not the “Watch-me-buy-a-lottery-ticket” kind), it’s off to Froggy’s and KetMo. You’re about to be exposed to a new type of breed outside of the house-party scene. Approach with caution collegiettes™: the boys lounging at the bar still reek of that serial-hookup stench. But hey, maybe all the good ones are waiting to come out and play once G Street re-opens.

Senior: AKA Year of the “Screw-It-Let’s-Screw”

You’ve learned your share about college boys –with commencement around the corner, you’ve graduated from caring too much about the hookup scene. Who can keep interest in these boys when you can practically taste the paid-for rum and cokes that await post-grad in bars filled with San Fran’s finest? You have high hopes for yourself and you’re determined to walk the path of success, career-wise and relationship-wise.  That being said, these boys are simply your stepping stones: practice pebbles that you gotta try on for size before the real studs appear.

Rachael Brandt is your typical collegiette. Her free time, you'll find her roaming the CoHo, nourishing her hourly caffeine fix or rocking out at the campus rec center in Zumba class. Rachael has interned at Acosta/Salazar PR firm in Sacramento, CA --working with politicians and interest groups to aide their campaigns. She now spends her days working at the Events and Conferencing Center, in hopes of saving up for the many goodies she hopes to acquire while studying abroad next year. After cultivating an obsession for Her Campus, she opened the UC Davis branch, and now serves as campus correspondant.