Ryan Calbreath: Advocate for California Women’s List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Ryan Calbreath is entering his junior year strong; as a camp counselor for Camp Kesem, creator of the UCD branch of the California Women’s List, a member of the Men’s Rugby Club, and an intern for Mariko Yamada’s state senate campaign, he is sure to make a positive impact on the Aggie community this upcoming school year.

Photo Credits: Mariana Huben

Year: Junior

Twitter: @RCalbreath

Major: Economics, considering minoring in Native American studies or Political Science.

1. Favorite class you have taken so far at Davis:

This is a tough one, but it’s a tie between Human Rights 1, Native American Studies 1, and Soc 30 (multiculturalism). All three were taught by phenomenal professors, had important subject matter that I did not know enough about, and most importantly, I met people in those classes that challenged me and improved me as a person. Exchanging ideas with these people of differing views has contributed to what I have become here at Davis.

2. Is it hard balancing Camp Kesem, Rugby, and your academics?

Yes— the course load is brutal, and I’ve gotten grades I’m not happy with, but I am happy with what I’ve had an opportunity to do outside of the classroom.

3. What positive outcomes came out of joining Camp Kesem?

I got exposed to a group of people whose childhood experiences were vastly different from mine, and yet I have been welcomed into this community and given an opportunity to help. And it’s been one of the most cherished parts of my life. The counsellors are phenomenal, and the kids all treat each other with so much kindness. Age is one of those things that people use to divide populations up–like, when people doubt that kids could have the same values as adults–but working with children completely destroys that idea, and I love interacting with them. Camp is such a happy place. I love everyone involved in Kesem. They are my family.

4. Can you tell me about your work with the California Women’s List?

My girlfriend Michaela and I made the student branch of it here at Davis. What we are doing is supporting pro-choice democratic women who are running for state office, and they have endorsed Mariko Yamada who is running for state senate. She has been a social worker for 40+ years, a very cool person, and I’m very excited to be working with her. Through California Women’s List, we hope to connect students to state-level campaigns and make an effective difference.

5. A popular topic that came up during Olympic coverage this year was inadequate female representation in sports; what do you think about how women are portrayed in sports journalism?

At times, the coverage of female athletes was an absolute joke. I can’t imagine how frustrating it would be to be among those Olympian women, especially those who broke down barriers, and who achieved historic success this year and yet receive blatant incompetence on the part of the sports commentators. I only have respect for them; we have these women making history– these people are legit athletes, and they deserve nothing but respect and admiration, but instead are hit with questions emphasizing their coaches or husbands. It’s just bad journalism. But respect, Andy Murray, the tennis player from Scotland, who gave respect to female athletes when a reporter falsely presumed him to be the “most decorated Olympic tennis player” rather than the Williams sisters. (Read about it here.)

6. Do you feel that your multiple leadership positions on campus allow you to voice your opinion on the issues you care about?

I think that my privilege is what allows me to do it. Unfortunately, because of who and what I am, people will listen to me more readily than to a member of the LGBTQ community, a woman, or a person of color. I mean no disrespect by this, but there are people more worthy than me for this interview with a higher platform and more knowledge on these issues. I’m here to support the work that people like my girlfriend Michaela Worona, the President of California Women’s List, and my friends…are doing to make a real impact on our campus.

7. What issues are you passionate about that you feel more UC Davis students could demonstrate more concern for?

There’s no right answer to this question, but we should all self-evaluate as much as we can, and try to extend as much positivity and kindness to each other as possible. I believe this is something we already do better than most, especially for a large, competitive, public university — but inequity due to race, gender, nationality, ability, religion, sexuality, etc. still are undoubtedly at play in many of our classrooms, student organizations, and school policies. I think we as students should not undervalue our power to organize and demand better from ourselves, each other, and this university.

Elizabeth is a Nutrition in Public Health major and active member of Alpha Chi Omega. She joined HerCampus as a creative outlet amongst all of her science classes. With her remaining 3 years at UC Davis, she hopes to take a selfie with a squirrel, successfully nap in a quad hammock, become a Cal Aggie Camp counselor (✔), study abroad in Japan, and finish all the Aggie Traditions.  You can find her at the CoHo, heaphones blasting a hip-hop playlist to study to, with books and and vanilla latte keeping her company. 
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!