This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

The Walking Dead wrapped up its fifth season with an episode that hinges on forgiveness and togetherness. This is the first time AMC has aired a ninety-minute season finale of the show, which means there are a lot of details to discuss. Let’s get started! *SPOILERS AHEAD!*

Morgan is Back

Those who read the comic book knew it was only a matter of time before Morgan and Rick were reunited in the television show. Contrary to his last appearance, in which he was struggling with the loss of his son, Morgan seems to be in pretty good spirits. Not only is he able to smile when one of the Wolves points a gun at his head, he also tells Daryl that “all life is precious.” Clearly, he still holds onto the optimism that a lot of people in Rick’s group, especially Rick himself, have lost. At the same time, he sets himself apart from the Alexandrians because he knows fighting is inevitable. He fearlessly takes out two armed men and dozens of walkers with a bo staff. As someone who has not read the comic book, I can only hope that Morgan joins Rick’s group permanently. They could definitely use his positivity, and maybe learn a thing or two about crafting weapons. That staff is probably one of the coolest weapons to be featured on The Walking Dead (in addition to Michonne’s samurai sword of course).  

Go Carol!

The vulnerable woman we met in season one is long gone! Pressing a knife against his chin, Carol warns Pete, “I could kill you right now. I could. I will.” Although some fans have expressed their disdain for Carol’s cold demeanor, I absolutely love this confrontation because it gives Carol another chance to stand up to an abuser. She didn’t have this opportunity with her own husband. Back in season one, Shane beat him up, and then a walker finished him off. With that in mind, who is Carol really addressing when she says “you’re a small weak nothing?” Pete or her dead husband? I also think it’s interesting that many fans call Daryl Rick’s right hand man when in this moment, Carol proves that she resembles Rick more closely than any of the other characters. Both Rick and Carol are quick to say and do whatever is necessary to protect themselves and those they care about. The only question is, will their mental toughness eventually become too dangerous for the rest of the group to handle? I’d like to believe Michonne, Abraham, Maggie, and Carl when they suggest that they are on Rick’s team no matter what, but then again, I’m sure every character has their limits.

No One from Rick’s Group Dies

We all know by now that any character can die at any moment on this show. In season finales, our favorites our especially vulnerable. In this episode however, we only say goodbye to minor characters like Deanna’s husband, Pete, a man in a red poncho, a man with his face already eaten off, and a boat load of walkers. Perhaps the writers decided that Noah’s death a few episodes back was gruesome enough to hold us over until next season. Although in this episode, there are a few very close calls.

After they get trapped in a car surrounded by walkers, Daryl bravely tells Aaron, “I’ll go. I’ll lead them out. You make a break for the fence.” The death of our beloved archer seems like a sure thing at this moment. However, we can breathe a sigh of relief because Morgan manages to rescue both men with the help of his awesome staff. Not only does this scene give us yet another reason to appreciate Morgan, it also squashes some fans’ belief that Daryl’s character cannot be developed any further. I think there are still a lot of questions about Daryl that need to be answered. Will he ever take a bath for instance? All joking aside, I’m not picky about the direction of his character. Just promise to keep him alive, okay writers?

Glenn’s predicament with Nicholas definitely gets our hearts racing. First, the Alexandrian shoots Glenn in the shoulder, and then leaves him on the ground to fight off a group of walkers with his bare hands. I can’t fathom how Glenn gets out of this alive because it’s not explicitly shown. I’m just ecstatic that he’s alive at all because someone needs to teach Nicholas a lesson. After all, his cowardice did cost Noah his life a few episodes back. Glenn even reminds him of this as he points a gun at Nicholas’ head. Nevertheless, I’m glad to see that Glenn is still capable of compassion and forgiveness unlike his friend Rick. He refrains from pulling the trigger, and the two wounded men limp back to Alexandria together. Good for you, Glenn. Making Nicholas cry is punishment enough.

Father Gabriel is also at death’s doorstep when, unarmed, he confronts a walker. “I’m ready,” he says, suggesting that he wants the walker to kill him. It’s clear that he is feeling guilty for letting former members of his community die at the hands (or teeth) of walkers. At the last second, he changes his mind, and bashes the walker over the head with a rock. Considering he betrayed Rick’s group earlier in the season, I don’t think I would’ve minded if he had died. Since he is still alive, I am curious to see how the other characters (aside from Maggie and Sasha) receive him later on.

Characters Get Closure

Father Gabriel isn’t the only one who is emotionally overwhelmed. After struggling to adjust to Alexandria for many episodes, Sasha finally admits to Gabriel, “I think I want to die.” Gabriel has his own agenda however, and tries to provoke Sasha to kill him. An intense wrestling match ensues, but eventually Father Gabriel is seen laying on the ground while Sasha points her gun at him. Maggie intervenes before Sasha can pull the trigger. Although, the fact that Sasha yields so easily suggests she wouldn’t have gone through with the murder whether Maggie showed up or not. I really like that the struggle ends with the characters holding hands and praying together because it shows that hope is still alive. There is hope that Father Gabriel can be forgiven and there is hope that Sasha can feel human again.

Abraham and Eugene set aside their differences as well. Abraham forgives Eugene for lying about being a scientist, and Eugene forgives Abraham for nearly beating him to death. Out of all the “forgiveness” scenes in this episode, this one is my favorite. Unlike Glenn and Sasha, Abraham and Eugene use their words to resolve their issues.

Possible Tension Between Morgan and Rick

The episode ends powerfully. Rick convinces the leader of Alexandria that killing people is the only way to survive. “Rick, do it,” Deanna says after Pete accidentally kills her husband. Rick doesn’t hesitate for a second. He points his gun at Pete, and fires without realizing that Morgan is watching. Until next season, we are left with a major question: Will Morgan agree that Rick’s actions were necessary, or will his optimism create a great divide between the two friends? Personally, I cannot wait to find out.

Megan Taylor Hartenstein is an English major and Women's Studies minor at the University of California, Davis. Give her something to write with, and she'll create a masterpiece. While she loves journalism and writing short stories, her dream is to become a television or film writer. Megan is a proud feminist, and loves to incorporate feminist principles in everything she writes.       
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!