Wellness

A Realistic Guide to Being Productive When You’re Sick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Right now in Davis, I feel like everyone has a cold. I was sick from Thanksgiving Day until the last week of Winter break. Yup. I was coughing and sneezing my way through dead week, finals, Christmas and New Year’s. But I couldn’t just sit on my butt all day and watch Grey’s Anatomy, no matter how much I wanted to. 

1. Do your laundry

Sift through the pile of laundry that’s been sitting in your hamper all Winter Break. Pick up your leggings and your t-shirts off the floor and clear your chair of your hoodies. You know, that chair. The one that sits in the corner of your room and disappears under clothes you don’t want to hang up. 

2. Read the book that’s been sitting on your nightstand.

Brush off the dusty pages and prop yourself up with some pillows. Make yourself a giant mug of hot honey lemon water and have a box of tissues on hand. Sit and read until you fall asleep. 

3. Try a new recipe.

Go for sick-person foods like chicken noodle soup. Make it with the chunky egg noodles and lots of carrots and celery for vitamins. 

4. Fix up your resume and LinkedIn profile.

Upload a header photo and fill out the description for the job you started a few months ago. Find some new connections. Press “connect” with peers who are in your writing club or on your intramural soccer team. Prepare for any upcoming interviews. Try and predict the questions. Do research on the company and come up with killer questions to ask at the end.

5. Go on Pinterest and be inspired. 

Find photos that speak to you. Pinterest has ideas on home decor, recipes, travel, life tips, and DIYs. Get excited for when you’re not sick and can continue to work hard towards these ideas. 

6. Binge some good ol’ Netflix.

Maybe this should’ve been number one. But if you’ve exhausted all the other options and need the vegetation time, go ahead and watch some The Office or Grey’s Anatomy, and pine over Jim and Pam’s romance or cherish Christina and Meredith’s friendship.  

Caitlyn is a third-year student at UC Davis. She is studying Information & Communication Technology and English, with a minor in Computer Science. You can find her conducting Picnic Day board meetings as Vice Chair, working on code for research projects, downing an iced black tea and enjoying a good book.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!