big-blanket-co
big-blanket-co
Big Blanket Co.

Rainy Day Flicks: Movie Picks for a Cozy Day In

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

With the numerous flood warnings appearing on my phone accompanied by restless winds striking my window, the appearance of rainy days has hit hard in the city of Davis, alongside many other regions in California. The sound of raindrops tapping on our windows is an invitation to stay indoors, bundle up in a cozy blanket, and turn on a movie fitting for the outdoor atmosphere. Therefore, here is a compilation of some of the standout films that serve as a perfect escape on a rainy day.

• When Harry Met Sally…:
    • “When Harry Met Sally…” is a prime example of a timeless classic, offering a perfect blend of romance, comedy, and charm ideal for a rainy day. Directed by Rob Reiner, the film stars Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal as Sally Albright and Harry Burns. The storyline follows their evolving relationship, centered around the controversial question of whether a man and woman can be friends without developing romantic feelings. Through the witty dialogue, autumnal setting, and memorable moments, this film is an exemplary pick to accompany you alongside the gloomy weather. 
  • Good Will Hunting:
    • Directed by Gus Van Sant, “Good Will Hunting” is an emotional drama that unfolds in the urban city of South Boston. Starring Matt Damon as Will Hunting, he plays a self-taught mathematical genius who has grown up with a troubled past. When he crosses paths with therapist Dr. Sean Maguire, played by the late Robin Williams, a journey of self-discovery and healing starts to unfold. By blending raw emotion with themes of intelligence, “Good Will Hunting” creates a heartfelt story of human connection and finding one’s place in the world.
  • A Rainy Day in New York:
    • Capturing the most populous city in the midst of rain, “A Rainy Day in New York” is the perfect movie to turn on during a downpour. Starring Timothee Chalamet as Gatsby Welles and Elle Fanning as Ashleigh Enright, the young couple embark on a romantic weekend in the city. However, once their plans dissolve due to Ashleigh’s schedule, Gatsby is left strolling the city alone, as he navigates through a series of unpredictable and witty events. Combining humor, love, and the unexpected, “A Rainy Day in New York” leaves the audience with a warm appreciation of what could unfold on an ordinary, rainy day.
  • The Shawshank Redemption:
    • Known as a cinematic masterpiece, “The Shawshank Redemption” is often referred to as one of the greatest films ever made. Based on Stephen King’s novella, the movie follows the story of Andy Dufresne (played by Tim Robbins) as he is convicted of a crime that he did not commit. When in jail, he befriends fellow inmate Red (played by Morgan Freeman) and starts to grapple with the brutality of prison life while also instilling hope in the lives of those stuck in Shawshank Prison. Through remarkable storytelling, “The Shawshank Redemption” leaves audiences with a resonant message about redemption, even during the darkest days.
  • Midnight in Paris:
    • Unfolding in the city of love, “Midnight in Paris” embarks on a whimsical journey by encompassing both time and imagination. Starring Owen Wilson as  Gil Pender, he finds himself transcending between the present day and the glamorous 1920s during his midnight walks. The film captures the allure of nostalgia and the yearning for a more glamorized time. With its dreamy atmosphere, “Midnight in Paris” is a cozy, lighthearted watch to turn on for drizzly days.

All in all, these films are must-watches during delightful, quiet rainy days. From dramas to romcoms, each one is a perfect companion to comfort you while also providing cherished entertainment along the way. 

Noor is a 3rd year student at UC Davis majoring in Communication with a minor in Accounting. She enjoys watching movies, going on walks, and spending time with her friends. She is excited to be apart of the HerCampus team and looks forward to incorporating her interests and experiences into her articles.