Post-Spring Break Blues: Making the Most of Spring Quarter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Everyone knows that spring break was much, much too short. It’s literally impossible to recover from the trauma that is winter quarter in just a week. But, after getting over the denial stage and realizing spring quarter is here to stay, it’s important to look forward and try to make the absolute most of the sunny season. These are just a few things I plan on doing to try to make this transition as seamless and successful as possible.

1. Spring Cleaning!

Spring is a time of rebirth and fresh starts. What better way to start off your quarter right than by taking all of your clunky, winter gear out of your closet and making room for all the light and bright clothes that have been sitting in a box under your bed? My Persian background makes spring cleaning absolutely essential — Persian New Year, or Nowruz, occurs on the first day of spring and is considered to give you a new blank slate by which to live. It’s imperative that families clean everything, lest you start off the year with a bad aura.

2. Shopping

Now that your closet is cleared out, it’s time to replenish that wardrobe of yours! Trends evolve, people evolve, waistlines evolve… You want to feel as confident as possible, and if that means adding a few key pieces to your collection, it’s worth it. You definitely don’t need to start a new wardrobe from scratch, but adding just a few pieces will help in getting you excited for the new season.

3. Exercise

I did not exercise winter quarter, my excuse being that it’s either too cold, too rainy, or too dark, and I just wanted to stay in bed. Spring doesn’t allow for these excuses, though. Getting out and working your body will help start off the quarter on the right foot, and hopefully establish a routine that will stick throughout the quarter. Plus, the weather is just too nice to stay in bed with the blinds drawn, hopelessly binging another series from beneath your comforter. (Don’t get me wrong, I still 100% plan on doing this, but just not as often.)

4. Prepare Your Google Calendar!

With everything else in your life clean and organized, it’s equally important to get your academics in check, too. Whatever mode you use to keep your life organized (I personally use Google Calendar and it has saved my life, but to each their own), make sure it’s set up and customized to your liking, with all the necessary information present. You’ll feel more prepared for assignments or exams coming up because you’ll never be blindsided again. Revolutionary.

None of the images or gifs used belong to the author or Her Campus UC Davis.

Thumbnail courtesy of Kirsten Burrell

Nikki is a fourth year UC Davis student double majoring in English and Communication, and minoring in Professional Writing. Her passions include: puppies, Harry Styles, and Coke ICEEs. She thoroughly enjoys proofreading and hopes to somehow make a career out of it.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!