Post-Election: Uplifting Quotes to Help You Cope

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Editor’s note: The opinions and ideas stated in this article are not direct reflection of those held by HC or HCUCD

This election has brought so many strong emotions. I, myself, have been struggling to come to terms with everything. It’s times like these when it’s hard to remember that there is a light at the end of the road. Besides crying and eating ice cream, I compiled a list of quotes that will hopefully help in bringing back my – and hopefully your – faith in humanity if you, too, are struggling with finding hope in this disheartening time.

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.” – Albus Dumbledore in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

“If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.” – Mahatma Gandhi

“I raise up my voice – not so I can shout but so that those without a voice can be heard…we cannot succeed when half of us are held back.”

“We realize the importance of our voices only when we are silenced.” — Malala Yousafzai “To all the little girls who are watching this, never doubt that you are valuable and powerful and deserving of every chance and opportunity in the world to pursue and achieve your dreams.” – Hillary Clinton

“You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.”

“You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it.” – Maya Angelou

“For to be free is not merely to cast off one’s chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.” – Nelson Mandela

“Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness. Take pride that even though the rest of the world may disagree, you still believe it to be a beautiful place.” – Iain Thomas

*None of these images belong to Her Campus or the author.

Tara is a senior at UC Davis who is pursuing a degree in Pharmaceutical Chemistry. Her passions include 80's rock music and getting as many food samples as she can at Costco.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!