Pop Culture of the Past: 2005 Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

2015 is drawing to a close, and so much has happened in pop culture over this past year: Adele sold $3.38 million copies of her new album in the first week (the most any artist has sold in one week since the sales were first being tracked in 1991), Caitlyn Jenner made her grand entrance as a transwoman in her Vanity Fair cover, Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner broke up, and the Bill Cosby scandal erupted.

Instead of spending the rest of the article reminiscing about how momentus the last 11 months have been for American pop culture, we are taking you ten years back to a time of voloure tracksuits and purses that double as dog carriers.  Throw on a pair of gaucho pants and get comfortable, because these moments that still feel like yesterday will make you feel like an old grandma. 

Top Songs of 2005

1. “We Belong Together”- Mariah Carey

2. “Hollaback Girl”- Gwen Stefani

3. “Let Me Love You”- Mario

Highest Grossing Movies of 2005

1. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

2. Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

3. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

2005 Grammy Winners

Best New Artist: Maroon 5

Song of the Year: “Daughters” by John Mayer

Album of the Year: Genius Loves Company by Ray Charles & Various Artists

2005 Academy Award Winners

Best Picture: Million Dollar Baby

Best Actor: Jamie Foxx for Ray

Best Actress: Hilary Swank for Million Dollar Baby

Celebrity Gossip:

1. Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston announced their divorce (and within seconds he is found in the arms of Angelina Jolie).

2. Destiny’s Child announced they were going their separate ways.

3. Michael Jackson was found not guilty on all fourteen charges against him, including the (alleged) molestation of children. 

We know — we can’t believe it’s been ten years either! Since then, Michael Jackson has died (RIP king of pop), Brangelina have reigned as Hollywood’s A-list couple, Queen Bey has slayed the music charts, and the Harry Potter and Star Wars movies are coming out with brand-new installments. Here’s to 2005, collegiettes, and to 2015! 

This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!