This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

It’s common practice to give an emotional significance or meaning to tattoos, but piercings are often only seen as vain body embellishments, devoid of any deep meaning. As a person with no tattoos but numerous piercings, I can honestly say this is entirely untrue.

To portray how much meaning can be given to a piercing, I’m going to walk you through the significance of each of my piercings. Mine are confined to my ears, but the concept can most definitely be applied to any type of body piercing.

1. First lobe piercing

I got my first piercing when I was about nine months old — something I know if quite controversial for some people. I, however, am thankful that my parents had my ears pierced when I was so young. I am half-Mexican/half-white and piercing a baby’s ears is common practice in Latinx culture.

Whenever I switch out the jewelry for this piercing, I’m struck by my mother’s acceptance of this cultural practice (as she had to wait until middle school to get her first piercing). My first piercing reminds me of my mixed heritage and the love and acceptance my entire family feels for our Mexican background, even as it’s blended with another cultural background. So, please think twice before criticizing a family for piercing their baby’s ears — there is often more to the story than vanity.

Image source: Giphy

2. Second and third lobe piercings

Now, I grouped these two together because they have similar meaning to me. My mom has had triple lobe piercings for as long as I can remember and she never took them out unless to switch out the jewelry for a new set of special earrings. My mother and I were never much into other forms of jewelry, but earrings were our thing.

To me, triple lobe piercings were just a symbol of the edgy femininity my strong, hardworking mother embraced — my ears had to look the same when I grew up. So, again my piercings tie me to family and the connection I feel to them. This time, as a conscious decision I made as a young woman.

Image source: Assets

3. Tragus

This one was a big one. I was 15, and not many places would do a “body piercing” on someone under 16. But my mom really supported me and my strong desire for another ear piercing. We searched throughout my hometown for a shop that would pierce my tragus (with a parent’s consent) and I eventually emerged with another stud in my ear! This story always validates my parents’ support for mine and my brother’s style and body image. As simple as a small stud is, it was one of my first steps toward taking charge of my body and what makes me feel comfortable in my own skin.

4. Forward helix

This one was the result of my best friend and I wanting to do something new. It can be that simple. She got a different piercing, but we got them together, holding each other’s hands. We always fantasized about having the guts to take the needle again but never did. That is until we were sitting around on a boring summer day and just decided.

That’s what this piercing is: my comfort and security with just deciding and not worrying about the minor implications of a style choice. My Beth instilled that confidence in me and my forward helix forever reminds me of that.

Image source: Content14

5. Rook

Okay, this is my last piercing! (For now…) I had a really tough time adjusting to college life and fitting in with the people I lived with freshman year. One thing we had in common though was our love of (you guessed it) piercings. Again, this was a spontaneous decision. I just decided to surrender to the college experience.

I got my rook — a very painful piercing — done at a sketchy piercing and tattoo shop down the road from the dorms and I’m so happy I did. I reclaimed control over my body and confidence in what I had to offer as a unique individual.

Image source: Tumblr

So get that piercing, y’all! It isn’t just for those deep into grunge or punk styles. It’s also not just about traditionally feminine decadence. Just like a tattoo, a piercing means what you make it mean.

Image source: Happiness Boutique

Cover image source: Pexels

This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!