Picnic Day Memories and Traditions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Picnic Day has been a tradition at UC Davis for many years. There are so many activities for students to participate in and everyone in Davis—or from outside of Davis—to enjoy! Some of my best memories in college have taken place during Picnic Day. I asked around to find out some students’ favorite events to attend and some stories they’d like to share.

Loriza Khan shares, “Picnic Day is definitely one of the most anticipated days of the year for any given Davis student. Some of my personal favorite Picnic Day traditions include watching the parade march their way through campus, grabbing some liquid nitrogen ice cream (the line may be long but it’s definitely worth the wait!), and of course watching the exciting Doxie Derby. I also find it particularly fun to visit the engineering buildings on campus- they exhibit a variety of very interesting projects that the students have been working on throughout the year!”

Shruti Thundiyil shares, “COW MILKING!!! I did all the event type things last year and this was definitely worth standing in the line. Plus, it was just one of those weird—but cool Davis things to do!”

Chanchal Wadhwa shares, “I love Picnic Day because it’s a day where literally everyone is on the same vibe. People are down to hang out, have a good time, and make cool memories. One of my favorite traditions is waking up super early in the morning and making breakfast at a friend’s place. Then I love heading over to campus and walking around and seeing all the different booths they have set up. It’s fun to watch everyone display the projects they’ve been working on all year and it’s exciting to meet new people. It was also my first Picnic Day and I got to spend it with my sister, so I really loved that.”

Hey everyone! My name is Chandni and I first came to Davis as a transfer student. Now that I'm in my final year, I've learned a lot about campus life in a really short amount of time. I'm an economics and psychology major and I love animals! I love meeting new people, so if you ever see me around, come over and say hi! :)
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!