This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Pets are the best. A pet can be your confidant, friend, or partner in crime. They motivate you, support you, and so much more.  Most importantly, they always show you unconditional love; they are family. My sister has a dog and my mom has a dog. I am not always on the best terms with them, but I do love them with all of my heart. The other day, I got a big reminder of how much I love them as a part of my family.  

Last Saturday, I was at my friend’s house making a poster for the Yule Ball when we saw a dog wandering the parking lot outside. The parking lot is a closed in area with covered and uncovered parking and grassy areas next to the apartments. There was no traffic at that time, so we rushed outside.

The dog was a black and white collie mix and it looked a little old. It seemed physically fine, but there was no human with it. As we came over to the dog, he walked away from us. We slowly followed him as he ambled towards the other side of the apartment area. Tiredly, he plopped down on the rug and looked at us.

We looked at each other and wondered, was this his home? We hovered outside the door hesitantly as we tried to figure out if we should knock on the door or not. A figure appeared in the window looking out at us. Great, I thought now this person is going to think that we are crazy. Bravely, my friend knocked on the door and an older man opened it. The dog immediately ran inside.

“Is this your dog?” we asked

He looked surprised and relieved. “Yes,” he said. “My son and granddaughter just went out looking for him. They live across the street. The dog belongs to my son. Thank you for finding him and bringing him back.”

We explained that we saw the dog outside the window and followed him over to the door. The man replied that the dog often walks around the neighborhood and comes to the house. Then he closed the door and went inside. I was relieved to have the helped the dog get home.   

The experience made me think about the time my sister’s dog got lost. My sister opened the front door for some reason and her dog just ran out. I had always disliked Abigail up to this point because she jumped on me and barked super loudly.

However, I joined my mom in the car to look for Abigail because it was the right thing to do. We searched the streets together, but I was the one who found her. I remember that rush of recognition of seeing that familiar beige outline at the end of the street.

I shouted to my mom and we drove over to her. Abigail jumped straight in the car door and panted happily at us. My sister was so happy to see Abigail back safely that I realized that Abigail was a permanent addition to the family no matter how I felt.

I think that was the moment I really accepted Abigail into the family. I do not know that dog’s name, his family, or their life, but I hope that they love and appreciate their dog as much as my sister loves Abigail.

Families are the most important thing in the world, comprised of human and pet members, and we must cherish them.

Cover image source: Pexels

I was born in Bakersfield, but I have moved over ten times since I was three years old. I love books and musicals. Yes I am a Hamilton fanatic, Potter fan, Tolkien follower and feel the compulsive need to read at least once a day. My other favorite hobby is cooking. Currently my major is in Environmental Policy Analysis and Planning at UC Davis.