This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

In the midst of this year’s midterm storm, my life has gotten messy. Clothes have been strewn across my room, days have blurred together, and it’s safe to say my sleep schedule has gone off the rails. Now that midterms are dying down (pointedly ignoring the upcoming stress of finals), it’s time to get my life back in order. Here are some methods I’ve found helpful to clear my head and make me excited for each new day. For everyone out there with a hectic life, let’s reorganize! 

Decorate A Planner 

I’ve found that decorating a planner or journal is a fantastic creative outlet. Use colors, stickers, outlines, photos, or anything that you find meaningful or imaginative to create something beautifully unique. In making my plans and to-do list kaleidoscopic and an expressive way to showcase my mindset of the day, I’ve started looking forward to planning and sticking to the goals I’ve made. Speaking as someone whose artistic ability peaks at drawing stick figures, this is simply for fun and to track your productive progress and inner well-being. This doubles as an expression of artistic creativity and a way to strategize your day and track your aspirations.  

Create a Morning and Night Time Routine 

Establishing a morning and nighttime routine has created a sense of stability and brought me something to look forward to at the beginning and end of each day. Always incorporate something you enjoy. This personal flair is dependent on the individual: for you, it can be anything from exercise, media browsing, baking, or calling friends and family, basically, anything that will encourage you to anticipate each new day rather than dread it. Utilize your morning routine to pump you up for the day: listen to some hype music, set time aside to pick your favorite outfit, or simply journal. Utilize your nighttime routine to find peace and relaxation: perfect your skincare routine, read a chapter of your favorite book or watch your comfort tv show, or simply find something that helps you unwind. These routines create stability and preparation for the day ahead. 

Taking Some Time for Leisure Activities 

During midterm season, I felt like every waking moment I had was spent studying for in-person exams or writing essays. It felt like I didn’t have any moments to sit back, relax, and be mindful.  Now, I make it a point to do at least one thing I know will bring me joy each day.  My current favorites are reading, cuddling with pets, and rewatching episodes of Modern Family (a must-watch sitcom, in my opinion). Setting aside time specifically for your mental, emotional, and physical well-being is paramount to having a clear, positive mindset and thus creating a joy-filled life. 

Centering organizational practices around activities that you find enjoyable is the key to reorganizing your life and getting your mindset back on track. Remember, organization does not mean scheduling your day down to the last second; leave empty spaces for personal time or spontaneity. Create a schedule that works for you, and tackle each new day with a positive, open-minded perspective. Let’s organize life together!

Alexa is a second year English major at UCD. In her free time, she loves baking, making Spotify playlists for her latest reads, and laughing with friends. She’s super excited to be part of HC this year!