This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Note: ‘Mahdi’ is an Arabic word for ‘guide.’ Mohammed is the son of Al-Hasan (11th Imam). In Islamic narrations, he is the final Imam and is a messiah under occultation whom will reappear alongside Jesus before the day of judgement to fill the earth with justice and equity, just as it’s been filled with injustice and tyranny. 

I am delighted to be granted the chance to write to you and tell you about my worries and concerns, and to express myself to you with transparency. First of all, I want to send a greeting, salaams, from me and my family. I hope my salaams can transcend time and reach you wherever you are. I don’t know where you are and I don’t know what you’re going through, but I want to say that I sincerely hope you are safe and doing well. O’ Imam, the world hasn’t been in the best condition. I wonder when peace will prevail. Every time a tragedy strikes, the globe wears yet another bandage, and the world is currently aching with far too many scars to bring it back to life. I don’t know if it’s clear to everyone but to me, the earth has had its fair share of injustice and cruelty, and everyone is hungry for the truth and peace.

one world sign
Photo by Markus Spiske on Unsplash
My promise to you is that I will always aspire to run towards anything that brightens, enlightens, and enriches the soul. To get up no matter how many times I fall. To take care of myself, my family, and everyone around me. To never quit no matter how hard it gets. I will continue to cling onto the rope of hope, and I am not willing to settle for anything less. I find myself distant from you, but I found it empowering to read stories about you and your family, and the details of your lives.

women sitting on a chair in front of book with coffee
Priscilla Du Preez
I once read that, “Reading the stories about the Household of the Prophet (as) and the details of their lives, increases our affection for them. However, not much information has been narrated from the Imam of the Time (a.j.) who has always been in Occultation. Instead, we should use our power of thinking more! For example, let’s think about [how much] Imam Mahdi (a.j.) loves us. Why does he review the file of our actions every week? Is it due to his curiosity? Or, is it due to his fondness of us, like kind parents who care about their child’s educational status? Let’s not pass on this subject that easily. Let’s think about it. If we spend time thinking about this, it can transform us and increase our love for the Imam (a.j.).”

Layla is studying Psychology and Human Development at the University of California, Davis. She has many interests and enjoys being busy. She is currently working as a Student Manager at the UC Davis Bookstore and interning as an RA in Goodman's Lab. She is passionate about Youth Development, Career Advising, Marketing, Team Building, and Web Design. She hopes to give back to the community and empower the future generation of great leaders.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!