Op-Ed: Feminism Isn’t Just About Equality

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

“Feminism is about equality.” It took me a long time to figure out what it was about this statement that rubbed me the wrong way. The literal definition of feminism is equality between the sexes, but when used in certain contexts, the statement has always irked me. I began figuring out why a little while ago, when I went on Facebook and a friend of mine shared a post with the caption, “Feminism is about equality, not gender superiority.”  Then I went on the Feminist Apparel website, and the first shirt I saw had “Pro-Women Isn’t Anti-Men” printed on it. Then I thought about Emma Watson’s speech to the UN, where she had to clarify that feminism didn’t equate to man-hating, but was rather a movement for political, economic, and social equality between the sexes. And then it clicked.

I’m probably not the only one who has used the “feminism = equality” argument before when debating feminism with males. We say it so that they will listen to us, and to make it seem like we’re not threatening them. By saying “Feminism is about equality,” women sugar-coat feminism and have it cater to men — no, it’s not that women want justice or anything, we just want some harmless equality. We remind men that feminism is about equality and not gender superiority so that they can feel comfortable with it. We remind them that we’re not challenging their power, we’re simply trying to build ourselves up. We instill in men that they don’t have to take responsibility for the patriarchal system that has been oppressing women since the beginning of human history.

When we bring in intersectional feminism, the definition of equality becomes fuzzy. In bell hooks’ (EDITOR’S NOTE: her name is lowercase) Feminist Theory from Margin to Center, she explains how if feminism were solely about equality, then each female in a certain race or class would become equal to her male counterparts: white women to white men, black women to black men, Hispanic women to Hispanic men, etc. Since men are not equal throughout races, female oppression is not equal, and “Feminism is about equality!” only truly benefits white women. We must use feminism to fight discrimination based on race, class, sexuality, and gender before we can achieve a type of equality that benefits everyone.

On another note, there are certain aspects of feminism that really don’t have much to do with equality at all — take rape culture as an example. Sure, you could make the argument that feminism works to stop women from being seen as sex objects, which in a way is a type of social equality to men. But the reality is that rape culture in America is a far too terrifying reality for women in particular, and solely focusing on “equality” isn’t going to solve that. We need to end slut-shaming and victim-blaming, we need to instill the value of consent in young people, and we need justice.

Here’s a more personal opinion of mine: I’ve never really liked how women comfort men by explaining that feminism isn’t about gender superiority because, you know what? Why the hell can’t it be? Men dominate and have been dominating every aspect of society for a really, really, really long time — why can’t women do the same? God forbid men walk even a few miles in our shoes. So, no, I think feminism is about more than just equality — it’s about dismantling centuries of racism, sexism, and other forms of discrimination that have been embedded into our current patriarchal society. It’s about justice. No, feminists don’t hate men. But we also aren’t going to cut them any slack.

Gretchen is a fourth year UC Davis student double majoring in political science and cinema & digital media. As an intersectional feminist, she finds interest in issues of social justice and equality. She also finds interest in dogs, Leonardo DiCaprio movies, and early 2000s music.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!