OK, I’ll Admit It — Figuring Skating is Pretty Cool

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

It’s 2018, which means that the Winter Olympic season is here! Many winter sports events — such as snowboarding, ice hockey, and ski jumping — are being held to determine the ultimate champions.

Now, I never cared about the Winter Olympics. I’ve always believed it to be comprised of sports no one really care about (at least in the mainstream). But after watching a few events, I finally caught the Olympic fever — especially after seeing Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir skate themselves to a gold medal in the ice dance event for figure skating.

I’ve got to admit, I think I found my new obsession. It baffles me how a sport can require so much physical strength and stamina while also demanding grace and rhythm. Some of the lifts these skaters do often make me question if these athletes are even ruled by the laws of physics (of course they are, but still!).

To many, figure skating is “unmasculine,” but those same people forget that the sharp knives on their feet. And that’s not an exaggeration. Ice skaters technically balance on knives to move on the ice. It can cause major injury if skaters get too close to their partner’s blades. Jessica Dube underwent a surgery after her partner’s blades cut her cheek and nose during a figure skating competition in 2007. Thank God it didn’t hit her eyes!

Basically, y’all need to get into it! This sport is phenomenal to watch and team USA has a top-notch figure skating team this Olympics!

Cover image source: Unsplash

I'm a second year student with a double major in English and International Relations at UCD. I love hot chocolate, the fall season, and is a little too obsessed with kpop. 
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!