Novels That Will Capture Your Attention From the First Page

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Reading has always been such an incredible outlet for me to get lost in stories and worlds that take me to a completely new space. When I find myself not being able to commit to a series, I find novels as a great alternative. Below are three incredible novels you should check out if you are on the hunt for new reads! 

1. The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid

We follow our main character Evelyn Hugo and her journey into becoming one of the most prominent actresses in the 60’s. The story is narrated by Evelyn Hugo as she recounts her journey through her seven marriages while falling in love with the famous actress Celia St. James. Throughout the story, Evelyn Hugo showcases how she is more than what society has defined her. Navigating the white heteronormative space as a Cuban bisexual woman and understanding the many different facets of her identity, she learns to take control of her narrative while also making mistakes along the way. The novel delves into themes of loss, tragedy, sacrifice, love, and loyalty. It showcases the pain that comes with falling in love as well as conveys how love holds so many different facets. The story is something that feels akin to a rollercoaster ride as it will take you through a culmination of emotions that will leave you reeling in the aftermath. This story feels so raw and human, and I as a reader have been forever changed by this story as it will be one that you won’t stop thinking about for years to come.  

2. A Very Large Expanse of Sea by Tahereh Mafi 

Shirin is a 16-year-old hijabi Muslim girl navigating the post 9/11 atmosphere in America. Her high school life has been a tumultuous one as her parents have had to relocate every year for a better job, forcing her to start over at a different high school every year. She’s had to face the many facets of prejudice from Islamophobia to xenophobia and this constant confrontation with ignorant rhetoric has left her feeling rightfully angry and resentful of the world. Shirin has learned to stay quiet and fade into the background so that no one notices and tries to engage with her. She is able to succeed and ignore the abrasive ignorant comments from teachers and peers, but that all changes when she meets Ocean, the golden boy and popular basketball player with who she is partnered in Biology class. From there, love steals her heart, and you find yourself being pulled into a beautiful romance that still holds its own difficulties. Ocean and Shirin learn to navigate the hurdles that come with their intercultural relationship while being in the deeply ignorant environment they’re in. This story explores the many nuances that come with cultural identity and it’s a story that is so deeply powerful and compelling that you will find yourself emotionally invested until the very end. Mafi’s writing is another incredible aspect of this story and elevates the story to a new height. 

3. The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller

This is a retelling of the Iliad and it focuses on the love story between Achilles and Patroclus. Achilles and Patroclus are both childhood friends who become lovers, and their love becomes a core part of the story as you will find yourself emotionally invested in their journey as they quickly become entangled in the Trojan War. Achilles is someone who is prophesied to become one of the most legendary warriors of his time, whereas Patroclus is an observant healer and leads with a generous heart. We soon find how both characters make choices that show how deeply flawed and human they are as they grow into their adulthood. The way the narrative is shaped through human love and failings will tug at your heartstrings and captivate your attention until the end. The prose in this novel is so poetic and beautiful it will leave you emotionally devastated. 

There you go! I hope you enjoy these recommendations as they are phenomenal reads that have elevated my reading experience for the better! 

Ritobrita Mishra is a fourth year majoring in both English and Cinema Digital Media.