Not Only a New Year: A Constantly Improving Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

As I drove back to Davis on January 6th after my three-week hiatus from school, I was determined to make 2019 a year of contentment and improvement. Looking back in retrospect over the course of my 2018, I found that I was able to grow in ways that four years ago I did not think I could. I worked tirelessly to no longer let anxiety or nervousness about situations dissuade me from working towards meeting my goals and stepping out of my comfort zone.

I decided to peruse the journal I began when I started last year. With every entry I read, I was reliving some of the best (and worst) experiences of the year; however, as I flipped through the pages, reading my sometimes joyful and sometimes frantic entries, what I focused on the most was the line of growth that was visible through my words. I deduced that I really did achieve my 2018 goal of growth, and that was the pleasant surprise I was encouraged by as the continuation of my journal transitioned from 2018 to 2019.

Image source: Cali Jeen

I would say that this helped me to decide what the perfect New Year’s Resolution would be. I started first by eliminating the expectations that come with the label for “resolution”, and I simply wrote a list of potential areas of more growth! Initially, for me, the elimination of the concept of doing something for the “new year”, or exclusively because it is a new year, was a sharp juxtaposition to my reconstruction of merely attempting to grow and improve for myself.

As I sat in my bed, a fresh page in front of me, my favorite pen in hand and with a hot cup of tea or coffee beside me (and can’t forget good lighting along with a couple other stereotypical, aesthetically pleasing objects), I was able to transcribe my thoughts into a list of self care, growth, and love. I began my list with broad ideas and concepts so that even my goals can evolve with me as needed throughout the year. I also did this because I did not only want to focus on one tangible achievement when I have the possibility to perfect myself as a person, including my habits and mentality. I decided that I want to be panurgic and strong, but also content with where I am so I made that the theme of growth for my year. I have been told I am a “mental” perfectionist, and sometimes that attribute forces me to never accept the moves I have made and the works I have done as successful, which is why I plan to take this year to overcome this idea of never having achieved enough, and I want to learn to accept that if I am dedicated and working on hard on something that I am trying to achieve, then I need to be content and proud of the work I have done even if I am beginning to feel like it wasn’t as much as I anticipated previously.

Madi is currently a fourth-year student at UC Davis majoring in English and Poltical Science. She is currently a marketing intern for the Mondavi Center at UC Davis. Her favorite hobbies are reading, making Spotify playlists, and grabbing lattes with her girls! 
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!