Nisha Marwaha, Saving People and Farms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Nisha Marwaha definitely has her hands full trying to help just about every living organism–she is a member of Watsi, as well as other organizations around campus, while also volunteering at the medical center. She has recently switched her major in hopes of helping farms to distribute their products. 

Name: Nisha Marwaha

Major: Biosystems Engineering

How do you stay involved:I’m the president of Watsi, I’m part of the club cross-country team, I do IM soccer, I am part of the Society of Women’s Engineers, I volunteer at the medical center, I work in a lab at the food science and technology department, and I am in the Society of Biological Engineers

How do you manage your time with everything? I don’t sleep. No, actually I just fit things in between hours of class and work. It takes a lot of self-discipline to not just do fun things all the time and I end up working a lot on the weekends. I wake up early every morning to do homework to manage.

Can you tell us a bit about the club you’re a president of which is Watsi? We are a chapter of a non-profit that uses crowd funding to fund medical operations for people abroad. The goal is to provide access to health care for everyone.

What are your goals to develop Watsi?  This year I have been working really hard on member recruitment. We are a pretty small club right now as it has only been around for two years now. Now I am starting to work on a way to extend Watsi’s field of influence. Instead of just holding fundraisers I would like to work with elementary and middle schools with after school nutrition or literacy programs. I want to be able to promote stable communities at home and abroad; it’s very important to me that people have access to things that are essentially necessities

What are your plans for the future? I recently switched my major from biomedical engineering to biosystems engineering and I’m super pumped about it. I want to work on creating ways to effectively farm so there’s less pollution and waste of natural resources. I want to work with countries abroad so they can develop a sustainable way to produce and distribute food so they can then work on community development. I want to work more on farm processes as opposed to GMOs.

Top three things you are passionate about: Helping people, people being tolerant of each other, and food.

What do you do when you’re not busy with everything that you’re doing? I play soccer; I love the game. I also love eating ice cream.

Who’s your role model? My grandma because she taught me to listen with respectful ears, act with a kind heart, and stand up for what I believe in.

If you could go could back and change anything what would you change?

I would be a lot more accepting of changes in the family. There were moments when I would be stubborn about changes and now when I look back on them I wish I was more open-minded and accepting because everything turned out to be okay and better than I could have imagined.

Saba is a third year student at University of California, Davis where she is majoring in Neurobiology, Physiology and Behavior. She is the former Editor in Chief and Campus Correspondent at her school's branch of Her Campus, where she served from March 2016 to March 2017. She hopes to attain an MD one day, specialize in ob/gyn and later work on public health policies, especially those regarding women's health and reproductive rights.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!