This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

During my Comparative Literature Senior Seminar, we read Tolstoy’s War and Peace through the Winter quarter. One character that stood out to me was Natasha Rostov. She’s one of the primary protagonists who embodies a simultaneously charming and frustrating naïveté throughout her experiences with love in the novel. As a musical character analysis, here are a few songs that follow her romantic narrative through War and Peace. 

“Falling Behind” Laufey

The combined bossa nova and jazz style of “Falling Behind” encapsulates Natasha’s desire for romance. The lyrics, “…the sun’s engaged to the sky / And my best friend’s found a new guy,” reflect how Natasha’s desire to be in love is to some extent a product of her society’s expectations of and focus on marriage. Laufey’s refrain, “Everybody’s falling in love and I’m falling behind,” reveals how Natasha’s obsessions with the idea of being in love and the notion of being adored define her personality. This lyric in turn introduces Natasha’s somewhat narcissistic nature, as she lets her desire for love cloud her awareness of the emotions of those around her and the consequences of her actions, a constant theme in the novel. 

“Valentine” Laufey

Lauvey’s sweet echoing harmonies throughout the song similarly mirror Natasha’s childish excitement to be engaged. Laufey’s refrain, “I blinked and suddenly, I had a Valentine,” emulates Natasha’s excitement to be engaged but also her perplexity at what it means for her identity. Nevertheless, Natasha’s brief introspective identity crisis passes through reaffirming her love for Andrei through Laufey’s, “I still feel a shock through every bone / When I hear an I love you.'” This line expresses Natasha’s fascination with the idea of being in love as well as her “firmly [convincing herself] that she was speaking the truth” (Tolstoy, 479) regarding her feelings for Andrei.

“I’ve Never Been In Love Before” Laufey

By using another romantic jazz song by Lauvey to express Natasha’s affection for Anatole, just as “Valentine” captured her feelings for Andrei, the playlist emulates Natasha’s inability to discern neither romance from love nor her true emotions. Lauvey’s description of suddenly discovering an eternal love mocks Natasha’s rash decision to love Anatole after merely receiving a letter from him. The line, “It’s all too strange and strong,” reflects Natasha’s simultaneous desperation for and fear of love that persists throughout her journey in the novel. Despite Tolstoy’s subtle chiding of Natasha’s naivete, Tolstoy still expresses empathy when describing her gullibility and innocence. Lauvey’s lines, “I’m full of foolish song, and out my song must pour / So please forgive this helpless haze I’m in” reflect Tolystoy’s endearing portrayal of Natasha. 

“The Day That I Met You” Matilda Mann 

Matilda’s lyrics reflect Natasha’s initial insecurity regarding Andrei’s love for her when reconfirming their affection, and how it melts away when Andrei asks about Natasha’s true feelings. The song’s romantic violins accompany Matilda’s  background harmonies beautifully, creating an intimate tone that encapsulates Tolstoy’s portrayal of Natasha and Andrei as the primary romance of the novel. 

“God Only Knows” Matilda Mann

“The Day That I Met You” focuses on the narrator receiving a declaration of love and being transformed and overjoyed by it, just as Natasha feels with Andrei before his death. “God Only Knows,” in contrast, depicts the narrator professing her love and claiming she’d be lost without her loved one, just as Natasha expresses her passion for Pierre to Marya in the end of the novel. By using songs by Matilda Mann in both Natasha’s declarations of love towards Andrei and Pierre, the playlist accentuates the fickleness of Natasha’s love and thus her persisting naivete. 

I’ll admit, War and Peace is a pretty hefty novel (I’m pretty sure my shoulder still hurts from lugging it around winter quarter in my bag). Nevertheless, I hope this character analysis encourages you to either read it or look into it. Happy listening and reading! 

Agueda

UCD '24