Trader Joe'S
Trader Joe'S
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon
Life > Experiences

My Top Picks From Trader Joe’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

With Trader Joe’s being right off campus, it has quickly become everyone’s favorite grocery store. As a loyal Trader Joe’s shopper myself, I’m always on the lookout for new and delicious products to try. So much so that it feels like I spend nearly every weekend getting lost in those never-ending aisles. I’ve tried several items that have since become staples in my pantry and fridge and have accumulated a list of my favorites. Whether you’re a longtime TJ’s fan or a newcomer to the store, I hope this list will inspire you to try something new and find your own favorites at Trader Joe’s.

Creamy Hummus and Vegetable Wrap 

This is by far my favorite quick lunch to pick up. I buy this at least once a week and am absolutely obsessed. The wrap is made with a whole wheat tortilla that’s filled with a generous serving of sweet and tangy hummus, and plenty of veggies that add a nice crunch and freshness. The overall flavors are simple, so I will sometimes add hot sauce for an extra kick. Regardless, the wrap is incredibly refreshing and helps keep me sustained throughout my long school days. If you ever need a fast and easy lunch this is definitely something you should try! 

Brown Sugar Oat Milk Creamer 

Being a college student on a budget means I try to find any way to save money. That is why I love making my own coffee at home. The Brown Sugar Oat Milk Creamer brings coffee shop quality into your kitchen. The oat milk gives it a creamy texture, while the brown sugar adds a subtle caramel-like flavor that’s not too sugary. If you’re looking for a tasty and dairy-free way to liven up your coffee, this is definitely worth a try! 

Trader Joe\'S Reusable Bag
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

Rolled Corn Tortilla Chips: Chili and Lime Flavored 

If you are also a fan of these, then you remember the chaos that ensued at the beginning of Fall Quarter when these went out of stock. The deliciously spicy chips are great for when you want a savory snack. Though they are inspired by Takis, I will say that I prefer Trader Joe’s version because the flavor is not as overpowering. It really allows the corn chip flavor to shine through. They are also healthier than their mainstream counterparts, being made with simple, natural ingredients that make them low in calories and fat. If you are a fan of spicy flavors this is the pick for you! 

Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese 

This is one of their fall items and when it finally went out of rotation, I swear I fell to my knees in the aisle. It was quite literally the start of my Trader Joe’s obsession. The mac and cheese is made with a creamy butternut squash sauce that’s rich and flavorful without being too heavy. The dish also has a subtle hint of nutmeg and sage, which elevates the flavor and makes it feel like fall has seeped into your veins. One thing I appreciated about this dish is that it’s relatively easy to prepare – just heat it up in the oven or microwave for a few minutes and you have a satisfying dinner perfect for a busy college student. Writing about this now brings a tear to my eye because I miss it so much, but you better believe that I will be the first in line once they come back next fall. 

Ratatouille Bites 

Inspired by the dish made famous by Pixar, the Ratatouille Bites are my newest Trader Joe’s favorites. I brought them as an appetizer for a party and within minutes they were gone. The next day, I went and bought three more boxes. This incredible frozen appetizer is also an easy snack to pop into your air fryer. They’re affordable and convenient, so I think they are an obvious addition to the list for your next Trader’s trip.

Trader Joe\'S
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

Next time you’re at Trader Joe’s, be sure to check out my top picks and see if any of them pique your interest. Who knows, you may just discover your new favorite food item. I apologize to all your bank accounts in advance! 

Jaylynn is an English and Cinema and Digital Media student at the University of California, Davis. She hopes to use her platform on Her Campus to highlight the little moments of life and hopes you enjoy reading her articles!