IMG 5825jpeg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
IMG 5825jpeg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Photo courtesy of Claudia Langella

My Top 3 Go-To Breakfast Recipes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Breakfast is undoubtedly, my favorite meal of the day and I admit that I get overly-excited about it at times. I look forward to starting my day with a loaded meal that’ll keep me going and set the tone for the rest of the day. So, I decided to share some of my favorite breakfast recipes that are quick, easy, delicious, and packed with nutrients:

1. Yogurt Bowl

There’s really no need for an ingredients and instructions section for this because of how simple and personalized this can be, which is why I love it so much. All you need is about 3/4 – 1 cup of your favorite Greek yogurt and tons of fruit to top it off with, along with some granola or nuts. Additional toppings that I always include are honey, chia seeds, cinnamon and LOTS of peanut butter.

Healthy fruit breakfast
Photo by Brooke Lark from Unsplash

2. Banana (Protein) Pancakes

These do require a bit more preparation, so here are the ingredients and instructions:

Ingredients:

• 1/4 cup of rolled oats
  • 1/2 – 1 banana
  • 1 scoop of protein powder (optional – still super delicious without)
  • 1 – 2 tbsp of PB2 Powder (also optional, but highly recommend)
  • 1/2 tbsp ground
  • ground flax seed (optional)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 tbsp almond milk (more if needed)
  • 1 egg (or just egg whites)
  • To add to pancake batter: chocolate chips

Instructions:

1. Heat pan on medium
  2. Blend all ingredients for batter
  3. Put oil, butter, or spray cooking oil on pan
  4. Pour pancake batter on pan
  5. If you’re adding chocolate chips, now’s the time to add them on the pancakes!
  6. Wait for bubbling on top and browning on bottom to occur
  7. Flip pancakes!
  8. Serve on plate, add desired toppings! 
  9. Some topping recommendations: LOTS of fruit, peanut butter, and maple syrup

Blueberry Pancakes
Alex Frank / Spoon

3. Scrambled Eggs with Bell Pepper, Onion, and Spinach

You can probably see a pattern happening from the last two recipes that clearly show my two key ingredients for a good breakfast: tons of fruit and peanut butter. It’s true, I’m obsessed with overly sweet breakfasts and peanut butter. I never get tired of either and I don’t think I ever will, but I do like mixing it up once in a while. Here is a savory breakfast option for my last go-to favorite.

This recipe is easily adaptable ingredients wise and relatively simple:

1. Heat pan on medium
  2. Chop up red bell pepper (rinse beforehand) and red onion (or desired ingredients)
  3. Add cooking oil to pan
  4. Sauté onions and bell peppers until you start to get the aroma from the onions cooking (approx. 1-2 mins)
  5. Crack in 1 egg and 1 egg whites (or just 2 eggs)
  6. Add a pinch of salt
  7. Scramble eggs and combine ingredients by moving it all together with spatula
  8. Add in spinach mid-way, continue combining and spinach will quickly begin to wilt (tip: add in A LOT of spinach – it basically disappears once it wilts)
  9. Serve once fully cooked 
  10. Additional (optional) toppings: avocado and red pepper flakes

Toast Scrambler
Kelsey Emery / Spoon
These breakfast meals never fail me, and their easy preparation is a bonus for being a busy student. They’re also loaded with protein from the eggs, yogurt, and protein powder, along with fiber from the fruit. I highly, highly encourage you to go crazy, go stupid with these recipes. Whoever said breakfast is the most important meal of the day was definitely onto something! I hope these recipes bring you at least a sliver of excitement and positivity to start your day with. 

Yvette is a third year at UC Davis majoring in Clinical Nutrition along with minoring in Theatre & Dance. Besides writing, she also enjoys working out, doing yoga, baking, going on walks, and trying new snacks from Trader Joe's.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!