This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

The school year is finally back in full swing as we say goodbye to syllabus week and hello to reading, doing assignments, and in my case, more reading. However, I have felt more put together than ever before, and if you know me personally, we can all agree that this is a first. 

Image Source: Unsplash

I spent my summer working, which I am not mentioning sarcastically or facetiously; rather, I see this with my pride in my achievements. I enjoy being busy, and as my job for summer as an orientation leader came to its inevitable end, I was faced with something that I did not view as upsetting until it was imminent. For the first time in a very long time, I had nothing to do. So naturally, I knew I needed a task. I decided to expedite spring cleaning and clean out my closet during the first week of August. Once I looked in my closet, I knew that this task was more than the regular “out with the old” cleaning. I felt like I needed a whole new wardrobe. After all, I am going into my third year of college, and quite honestly, as I peered into my closet I could sense the remnants of a high school vibe that I did not want to think about. I started to do some research. First, I looked to the Holy Grail of inspiration — Pinterest. I found that I was doing “fashion” all wrong because yes, I saw what was trendy and I followed; however, trends are not forever, only style is. I decided that the best way to go about tackling my fashion problem was by purchasing new pieces of clothing that are basic and versatile so that I can make multiple looks from each shirt, skirt, pair of pants, etc. As I started to slowly purchase new items and donate older items, I found that my looks were becoming more put together and classy, which is exactly what I was going for.  Image Source: Unsplash

Now that the weather is transitioning into cooler mornings and evenings, I am struggling to resist the urge to throw on multiple jackets and zip them up to my chin, but I have been continuing my quest to revamp my wardrobe by looking to others for inspiration. I have decided not to be afraid of trying on new types of outfits because, in the end, I only have to wear what makes me feel confident and happy. 

Madi is currently a fourth-year student at UC Davis majoring in English and Poltical Science. She is currently a marketing intern for the Mondavi Center at UC Davis. Her favorite hobbies are reading, making Spotify playlists, and grabbing lattes with her girls! 
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!