This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

During my early teenage years, I struggled with acne-prone skin just like any other adolescent. Specifically, I struggled with whiteheads and the occasional breakout. During middle school and part of high school, I went through lots of different skin products made for acne-prone skin, but none of them seemed to help. I even went to a dermatologist who prescribed me topical acne medication, but that didn’t work either. It wasn’t until junior year of high school when I found my ‘Holy Grail’ skin routine.

So what is this magical, secret product?

The Shiseido Pureness Collection!

I use the basic three-product package, which consists of a matifying moisturizer, balancing softener, and face wash. I noticed that within just two months of using this collection, my whiteheads were completely gone and my skin felt softer and more supple. Ever since then, I’ve been loyal to this skincare collection. It has kept my face clear for years and improved the overall quality of my skin. These products are definitely on the pricier side, but skin is so important to me that it’s so worth the money!

Source: Pexels

Another Trick? Tea Tree Oil!

Although I found my favorite skincare collection, I still get pimples every now and then (though, I break out way less than I did before). For stubborn zits, the product I swear by is pure tea tree oil, which I started using two years ago. Using a cotton swab dipped in water and tea tree oil, I apply directly to pimples before bed. Within two to four days (depending on how stubborn the pimple is), the blemish is completely gone! The great thing about tea tree oil is that it’s super effective yet gentle enough to use on my sensitive skin! It doesn’t irritate or dry out my skin, unlike benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid products. Tea tree oil is also sold in lots of drugstores and is inexpensive—an added bonus.

If you’re struggling with acne-prone skin, I definitely recommend trying out these products and see if they work for you!

Cover image source: Pexels

Amanda is a fourth year UCD student majoring in Neurobiology, Physiology, and Behavior with a minor in Psychology. She is an undergraduate research assistant at an affective neuroscience lab on campus. When she isn't studying or working, Amanda enjoys binge-watching shows on Netflix, doodling, napping, and hanging out with her friends.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!