This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Growing up, I used to watch youtubers like Michelle Phan, and was eager to get my hands on drugstore makeup products to recreate her beautiful looks. As I got older though, it was so intimidating walking into makeup stores like MAC or Sephora, trying to find the right shade of foundation or concealer, or even find the right brand that suited my skin type.

The overwhelming amount of (and not to mention expensive) makeup products and brands made it seem so hopeless to find the best possible products. I not only needed to find products that worked well with my acne-prone skin, but also did not break the bank. This led me to conduct extensive research, comparing drugstore brands to luxury brands, and figuring out what would most likely work best with me. 

With a lot of trial and error, I have a couple of makeup products that I have stuck with since high school, and some products I found are worth investing in. These products are, in my opinion, the most comfortable and the best I’ve used. Take a look!

1. Milk Hydro Grip Primer: If you keep up with makeup trends, you may know about Milk Makeup and their products. I remember when their hydro grip primer gained a lot of attention, I was first put off by the price point. Now, I believe this product is worth the $40. A little goes a long way, and I find that this primer really helps the makeup going on top to stick, and has a nice cooling sensation. 
  2. L’Oreal Paris Makeup Brow Stylist Definer: I was unfortunately not blessed with luscious eyebrows, and had to develop the art of drawing in my eyebrows as symmetrically as possible. Initially, I used Anistasia’s Brow Wiz brow pencil, but I found that there was just not enough product to last me even a month. As a broke student, I was not able to afford it. So, I found the L’Oreal to be a great dupe. It gets the job done, and I also love how it is waterproof. 
  3. Wet n Wild Photo Focus Loose Setting Powder: In being hesitant to spend money on a potential dud, I was on the hunt for a setting powder for the longest time. A friend recommended the Wet n Wild powder, and with the price point of $7, I thought it was worth a try. I was not expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised by how matte and smoothening the powder is. It keeps my foundation in place, and doesn’t cause the dry parts of my skin to flake.
  4. L’Oreal Telescopic Mascara: Ever since I bought my first mascara in middle school, I have always been disappointed in how they quickly fell off, leaving me looking like a panda by the end of the day. That is until I finally tried the telescopic. This mascara already has a cult following, and for good reason. Their waterproof mascara has proven itself to be long lasting with minimal transfer. They make my lashes look long and dark.

Finding the right makeup products for you is a long journey of trial and error. Some products are a hit for some, and a miss for others. I’ve always had difficulty in finding the right products for me, and I hope this list introduces you to new products to try!

Emily is a recent graduate from UC Davis, with a bachelor's degree in Communications and Cinema & Digital Media. She is currently Design Director for VITA at UC Davis and Digital Media Director for Her Campus UCD. She enjoys thrifting and getting coffee with friends.