This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

For me, music is everything. It’s my escape, I can drown out my thoughts, and I can find peace and comfort in all of the music that I listen to. Music is being played in my apartment when I am taking a shower, cooking, doing projects, at night as I am relaxing on my bed before I head to sleep, and pretty much anytime that I can play it without getting distracted.

We all have our comfort music, a specific genre we listen to, especially with different activities come different genres. My all-time favorite playlist on Spotify is called Engraved In My Blood. Currently, it sits at almost 10 hours with approximately 150 songs, and I can quite literally listen to this playlist every day. This playlist consists of R&B songs—actually the majority of the songs fall into this category.

So, let me tell you why music means so much to me. My favorite song is Best Part by Daniel Caesar featuring H.E.R, and every time I listen to this song a wave of calm comes over me. I have never found a song that makes me feel the same as this song. I know that when I feel stressed or sad, I can play this song on repeat and my worries get washed away. I love playing this song before my midterms or exams because I know that the nerves and anxiety that I’m feeling stop for just about 3 minutes and 29 seconds. In those moments it really is just me and the song. But that is at the current moment.

When I was younger my mom loved playing music when she was cooking. Growing up, we listened to a bunch of Mexican songs, these songs bring a different vibe to music. They make me feel a different way, they make me feel loved. I think it is so wonderful the fact that different people get to experience songs in different ways. Sometimes music may understand us in ways no one else can or it can put into words how we are feeling and the experiences we are facing. Through the different eras of one’s life, there is always music that will perfectly encapsulate how we are feeling. For example, when I am in my lover girl era, meaning I have feelings for someone, I listen to my more lovey-dovey music.

All of the songs in this playlist capture how I am feeling in the moment, and they perfectly describe the emotions of what it is supposed to feel like having feelings for someone. Everyone that I pass on campus, they all have their headphones on and a grin or a monotone expression plastered on their face. I can only imagine what music they are listening to or how they are feeling right at that moment.

Music is something different to us all, but the one thing that it is is that it will always be there for us wherever we go and whatever we experience. Music will never disappoint us even in our darkest moments.

Hi!! Alejandra is currently a second year Design major here at UC Davis! In her free time she loves reading, baking, drawing, pretty much anything artistic she loves to do.