This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Oftentimes, there is nothing that will get me in the studying mood. I’ll be scrolling on Spotify, then TikTok, then some other streaming services, and nothing can get my brain in the right headspace to actually do work. Then, by some miraculous chance, in comes latin music.

I spent most of my life in Mexico City, Mexico, living with my mom and grandma, where I was warmly embraced by the different genres in Spanish music. Although reggaeton is my favorite, I’ve recently grown into Mexican folklore and indie Spanish. My music taste is all around the place, but the minute that I hit “play” on the playlist, my brain is transported into a completely different sphere. I am no longer in Davis, California; instead, I am hanging out with my family, with the distant background music of banda, bachata, reggaeton, and everything in between. When I need music that will help me concentrate, my latin playlist is the key ingredient to the recipe. There is something about the tranquility of folklore Mexican music met with energetic reggaeton that makes you want to get up and seize the day. 

“Eres Para Mí” by Julieta Venegas 

This song by Venega’s is the perfect pop anthem, translated to mean “You Are For Me.” It is about pursuing a love that you know is meant to be, such that even outside forces will not intervene with fate. For the days that you need the extra boost of confidence, this song fills you with nothing but a desire to dance and dream. 

“Hasta la Raíz” by Natalia Lafourcade 

Lafourcade is known for writing some of the most popular Mexican folk and pop-rock songs to date. “Hasta La Raíz” is about recognizing someone or something that will stick with you through thick and thin, even if you find yourself thousands of miles away. This person, or even heritage, follows you throughout your life; through the good and the bad, it will never leave you. For me, this song speaks to being Mexican and living away from home because of college. I know that at the end of the day, there is nothing that is going to rip away my roots to my family and heritage. Whether I see myself as too Mexican or too American, I know that I’ve found a sweet place that is in-between. This in-between has given me the courage to pursue the life that I want, regardless of what everyone else expects from me. 

“Inevitable” by Shakira

Shakira is an icon in latin pop, so of course she had to be on my playlist. Venturing between pop and rock, “Inevitable” creates the perfect mood that resembles a kind of catharsis from failed love. All the anxiety built up, with frustration tied in between, this song is loud and does not hold back with its angsty lyricism. No other song will resemble the struggles that I have in my academic life like “Inevitable.” 

“Efecto” by Bad Bunny

Bad Bunny has become a worldwide pop star. Without a doubt, he is one of the largest male artists that are out there today. A great honor to the latinx community, he has proved himself, time and time again, to be a musical genius. Any songs from his albums are immediate dance or crying anthems, but “Efecto” makes me want to drop everything and just dance along. It gives my mind a break from Biology, yet it keeps me focused in a way that the concepts ease into my mind with the right musical beat to compliment them. 

“Cariño” by The Marias

The Marias is an indie pop group that has grown in popularity for making relaxing, soothing songs in both Spanish and English. “Cariño” can be translated to “My Dear,” and it’s a song about the softness of love for your partner and the desire to keep them close forevermore. When I’m going through assignments that require my undivided attention, this song’s soft tones make studying so much easier. Instead of listening to the overcrowded noise of the library, “Cariño” transports you to a tranquil spot away from the craziness of the quarter. 

This is the balance that my mind craves during uncertain times, and the distant world that I miss. I mix my two worlds together–academic and personal–to give me something that is just the right amount of familiar to keep going with the unfamiliar. This quarter is my most challenging yet, but I am confident that I can do anything with just the right kind of music.

Lizzie is currently a third year English and Psychology double major at University of California, Davis. Her interests include reading and writing romance novels, obsessing over period pieces (mostly Jane Austen), and trying to find all the easter eggs in Taylor Swift's music videos. After graduation, Lizzie is interested in pursuing her MA in Journalism.