This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

My whole life I have been a clutter-collector. From bags of stuffed animals to multiple binders overflowing with shopping mall brochures, I have always felt the need to hold onto everything that has been given to me.  Deep down, I always knew that I would be happier if I had a cleaner space with less clutter overwhelming me. Eventually, as time passed and the livable area in my room reduced, I understood that I needed to tackle the problem head-on or else I may get swallowed up by my own clutter. 

a person sits crosslegged on the ground folding laundry, including jeans and shirts which sit in piles before them
Sarah Brown | Unsplash

For me, this de-cluttering process was a mind-game. The biggest obstacle preventing me from living my best clutter-free life was the mental blockages. I kept feeling that someday, somewhere I may need what I had been hanging on to. Honestly, had that ever been the case? Was there ever a time that I needed one of the random oddities that I had saved? I couldn’t say that there had been and trying to instill this idea in my mind helped to relieve some of the guilt I had for decluttering. I found it easier to be honest with myself rather than to try and keep creating excuses for keeping things. Plus, on the off-chance I ended up needing something I donated in the future, I could simply borrow something from a friend or try and find the item at a thrift store. There were many options available that wouldn’t sacrifice my sanity. 

After relieving some of the guilt plaguing me, the process became a lot easier.  It felt like euphoria realizing that I didn’t need to hold on to everything. I was able to sort out items that I was using every day from the items that I never used. This is where my second problem arose: sentimental items, gifts from grandma, the many movie tickets, and over 20 years of birthday cards. This was the most difficult part of the process! I wanted to let go of some of these sentimental items, but I felt overwhelming guilt. It felt like by me getting rid of the sentimental items, I was not being grateful for the memory attached to the item. 

To combat this new obstacle, I tried to re-frame the sentimental attachment in my mind. I was not so much attached to the item, but rather the memory behind it. I decided that journaling the memories associated with the artifacts would allow me to 1) retain the memory and 2) let go of the item. If I had a card or art piece that was especially sentimental to me, I would take a photo of it to commemorate the memory. I figured that this would allow me to de-clutter without the irrational guilt. It proved to work out, and I was able to justify removing a lot of my sentimental pieces. 

I’m still not exactly where I want to be in regards to de-cluttering. But, by working on it a little bit every day, the clutter is slowly disappearing.  Since starting this process, I’ve noticed an improvement in my mental health and my productivity. An important idea to note about this process is that what works for one person may not work for the other. It’s all about experimenting and finding which strategies work for you. Also, minimalism doesn’t need to be the endgame. Just keep working until you feel good about the progress you’ve made. The most important part is feeling secure and comfortable in your own living space. Now, I finally feel like I have a space that works for me.

Beige And Black Chair In Front Of White Desk
Pixabay / Pexels

Victoria is a mechanical engineering and communication double major at the University of California, Davis. She loves writing, playing video games, and painting in her free time. Her main goal is to live a creative and fulfilling life.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!