My Favorite Local Downtown Davis Spots

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

I have officially been at Davis for two years now, and I’ve become pretty familiar with the area. One of my favorite places around town is downtown Davis. Downtown Davis is a vibrant area; there are always people hanging out because of the variety of eateries and shops there. If you are new to Davis, considering coming to school here in the fall, or a long-time Davis resident who simply needs new places to discover, here are some of my favorite Downtown Davis spots!

1. Sweet and Shavery

Name a better duo than Italian ice and frozen custard; I’ll wait. Sweet and Shavery is a delicious dessert option for those with a sweet tooth. It is refreshing and light, perfect for the warm weather! There are so many different Italian ice flavors and combinations that you can choose from. Topped with Sweet and Shavery’s creamy frozen custard, this dessert is one of the best that Davis has to offer. I recommend the strawberry Italian ice and mango Italian ice combination, topped with vanilla custard!

2. Davis Creamery

Handmade and locally sourced, the ice cream served at this ice cream shop is the epitome of what the city of Davis stands for! This ice cream shop is known for its unique flavors that rotate daily. The ice cream is fresh and handmade in-store, meaning you’re always getting high quality ice cream! The store also offers other desserts, including whoopie pies, cupcakes, various chocolates, and caramel apples. The store has different deals throughout the week too, so be on the lookout for those! My favorite flavor is the Coffee Oreo.

Image Source: Lukas

3. Kobe Mini Mart

This store is a hidden gem! From the outside, it looks like a tiny Asian supermarket; however, it is so much more. The store offers a variety of Asian snacks and cute products; there is also a spacious study lounge located in the basement. The store offers free WiFi, several seats and desks, and even has a microwave and hot water boiler in case you decide to bring food with you to study. The owner is extremely friendly too! This is the perfect place to get some work in or to simply hang out with your friends.

4. Davis Food Co-Op

The Davis Food Co-Op is the supermarket of your dreams! Priding itself on its locally sourced produce, this supermarket is great for those who are conscious about eating healthy. They have a wide variety of foods, including fruits, vegetables, poultry, grains, pastries, and more!

Image Source: Daria Shevtsova 

5. Yakitori Yuchan

Yakitori Yuchan is hands-down my favorite Davis restaurant. It is a Japanese restaurant that serves many different cultural dishes, from Japanese curry to chicken skewers to ramen, so everyone is sure to find something they will enjoy! The restaurant is definitely one of the more expensive restaurants in town, but it is so worth it when you feel like treating yourself. The ambiance is perfect for a dinner with friends or a dinner date! My favorite dishes are the Agedashi Tofu and the Tan Tan Ramen.

Image Source: Christel Jensen

6. Central Park

Located right in the middle of downtown Davis and therefore appropriately named, Central Park is home to the Davis Farmers’ Market and other community events. This park is beautiful, with luscious trees and green grass. It is the perfect spot to have a picnic or even to study! Davis is well known for its beautiful scenery, so take advantage of the beautiful nature surrounding you!

Image Source: Tookapic

Although I have been in Davis for a while and am familiar with most of the city, there are still so many places I have yet to explore! For a town of its small size, Davis sure has a lot to offer. I’m so excited to keep learning about more places in the coming years.

Rose is a second-year Communication major at the University of California, Davis. She loves Harry Potter, Disneyland, and spends most of her time either binge-watching Netflix shows or napping. After graduating, she hopes to work in the Public Relations or Advertising field.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!