This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

There is something so special about reading novels, especially fictional ones. They take you into a whole new world, allowing you to escape your own life and play around inside of another’s for just a couple of minutes, hours, or days. Below are my all-time favorite books (and series), along with how they transformed my life for the better. 

The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling

My passion for books started when I was in second grade, when I picked up Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone for the first time. My older sister read it, and because I wanted to do everything she did while growing up, I read the book too, despite the difficulty level. As soon as I started the book, I feel in love with reading and I never turned back. 

This series is magical from the first page to the last. Even when you finish the series, the magic never ends. Reading these books opened my mind to a type of creativity I had never experienced before, and I am forever grateful for that. 

The Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer

I may get seriously judged for loving Twilight — along with the entire series, but it would be a lie to say that I didn’t. These books introduced me to a world of love and drama as a young teen. There is something so romantic about them, even though they get heavily criticized. 

I also love Twilight because I believe Stephenie Meyer is a great writer. Her books and her writing-style influenced me so much, so much so that it actually began my passion for writing. Meyer is able to capture her audience immediately and make them feel the innermost thoughts and feelings of the first-person narrator. This is an excellent skill that I one day wish to have. 

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

A fantastic story about an adventurous life of traveling with a circus, Sara Gruen’s novel Water for Elephants was one of the first adult novels I read. This book touches on so many important present-day topics of concern, told through a historical context, including animal abuse, domestic abuse, and increasing old age. 

This novel takes its readers through a whole range of emotions, from crying to laughing. I learned to have humility, treat others respectively, and to remember that every person goes through different experiences which affect them to act a certain way from this amazing story,.  

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

When reading this book, I was completely entranced. This is the best feeling for me. I would rather read a book than watch TV or do homework. Gillian Flynn is a brilliant author and the plot twist in the middle of the book had me literally say “oh my god” aloud when reading it. This book constantly keeps its readers on their toes and wanting to turn the pages as fast as possible. 

Because of reading this novel, I fell completely in love with the thriller and mystery genres. Gone Girl  is the most amazing thriller-novel I have ever read, and I want to read it again. It is that good!

These novels have helped me fall even more in love with reading. They have showed me adventures, love, kind hearts, and a little bit of mystery.

I cannot wait to read more and find new novels to add to this list. I hope that every person continues to read, or finds a new passion in reading. It is one of the best things human kind has brought to this world, and I feel lucky every day for the books that have changed my life for the better.

Courtney is a senior at the University of California Davis where she is earning her degree in Communication, with minor in English. Courtney is a member of Alpha Delta Pi and is from Santa Barbara, CA. She is an avid reader, Netflix and Hulu watcher, beauty enthusiast, and is a big foodie!
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!