Morgan Barnes, A Woman of Culture

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Morgan Barnes is a second year anthropology student. Working hard to pursue her interests, she has integrated herself into the UC Davis community quite naturally.

Tell me something random about yourself.

I went all the way to Coachella, and forgot my ticket at home. But it all worked out in the end.

If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

There’s a lot of misrepresentation in the world. There are so many cultures that are misrepresented. So many people work hard to develop who they are, and show that their communities stand for positivity, but images like that are being destroyed around the world whether its America misrepresenting other countries or other countries misrepresenting America. Growing up, that really influences who you are, but in reality, you really don’t know a person until you get to know them.

What is your favorite thing about Davis? Least favorite?

My favorite thing about Davis is the fact that it’s a college town. It gives you a sense of community that you may not get in a different city. My least favorite thing is the lack of diversity. I feel like Davis is an underrated school, so it discourages some people from applying unless they live in the area because those people know what Davis has to offer. When I was touring, I saw a majority of the same race. Davis was a top choice of mine because I liked the environment. But when I walk around, I don’t see many people who look like me, so I would like to see more of that.

What is the most interesting class you’ve taken at Davis?

I took a class called Flower Power. We got to learn about plants and make flower arrangements. That class never failed to brighten up my day.

What clubs/ activities are you involved in?

I am currently working at the Cross Cultural Center, I’m a part of MGA KAPATID which is a Filipino interest club. I was formerly a part of MK Modern, the dance club, and I do Press Play, a dance group in Sacramento.

There seems to be a common theme among these clubs. Why did you join them?

I’ve danced since I’ve been able to walk, basically. I’m really passionate about dancing and I kind of have to have it in my life or else I feel like something is missing. Cultural clubs are really important to me because they help me figure out who I am as a person.

My name is Rojan Zarei and I am a second year Managerial Economics major at UC Davis. I've found a passion in getting to know who I am, learning about life, and sharing that with others! What better way to do that than write about what I've learned so others can hopefully benefit from it as well!
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!