This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

I think the idea of “moving on” is so ambiguous.  What does it really mean?  Do we have to leave everything behind to move forward?  Or can we carry a little bit of the past with us, just to remember what once was?  My answer: I think we define “moving on” based on our individual circumstances.  The truth is, only we know what we’ve been through and how to move forward from it. With that being said, here are a few methods that I utilize when I feel it is time to move forward, and I hope these can guide the haze of moving on.

Acknowledge How Scary it is to Move On

Let’s first recognize how terrifying it is to let something go that was so meaningful to you in the past. As we acknowledge that, let’s also rebrand “letting go.”  Letting go doesn’t mean erasing it from your memory (unless that’s what you want).  It simply means recognizing that something/someone is not meant for you and releasing yourself from its grasp.  Feel your fear and overcome it with the knowledge that letting go doesn’t mean what you had was any less special or meaningful, it just means you’re ready for what comes next.  For something even better! 

Love Is Blind S3 E5 00 45 09 02R?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Courtesy of Netflix © 2022

Break Free From the Self-Doubt Cycle 

Whether it be a romantic relationship, a friendship, or a family dynamic, moving on is never easy.  I was bogged down by questioning if I was moving on on the right timeline.  Should I be over it by now?  Why wasn’t I?  Let’s all take a deep breath in, and out.  Healing isn’t linear, nor is there a set timeline for how to recover from something that has hurt you.  Especially if that something seems to keep hurting you in the same cycle as before.  You’re on exactly the right path you’re supposed to be.  

Heal Yourself 

Start journaling, taking walks in the sunshine, meditating, or whatever helps you relieve stress and feel like your best self.  Now is the time to prioritize yourself and your well-being.  Do things that make you feel good and bring light and positivity into your life.  It’s okay to grieve for what could have been, but don’t let that stop you from continuing to live your life to the fullest and making yourself your number one priority.  

Know That If It Is Meant to Be, It Will Be

I think part of letting go is having faith.  Have faith in yourself and the universe.  Trust that what is meant for you will find you.  No matter what, you are exactly where you are meant to be, and your life is still unfolding.  Look forward to the happiness that will come next, and find little pieces of joy everywhere you go.

Embrace moving on.  See it as an opportunity to move forward and surround yourself with even more joy than before.  It doesn’t have to be a goodbye forever (unless you want it to be),  it can simply be a “see you later.”  But for right now, take this as an opportunity to reflect, to grow, and to come out stronger than ever. Soon, we can all call ourselves Miss Moving On!   

Alexa is a second year English major at UCD. In her free time, she loves baking, making Spotify playlists for her latest reads, and laughing with friends. She’s super excited to be part of HC this year!