Michael Clogston, Worldly Traveler and Renaissance Man

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Over the last couple of years, I’ve had the pleasure of calling Michael Clogston my friend. In his time at UC Davis, he has scrambled to take as many classes as possible in an effort to ensure a fruitful exploration of subjects— which often results in him taking on a 20-unit quarter. His intellectual fascinations include English literature, Japanese language and culture, creative writing, photography, and law. He manages to tackle all of these interests through classes, internships, and travel programs. It is a wonder how his many commitments haven’t dampened his positive outlook and unwavering good humor, as he also makes time for his friends.

This summer, he taught English to schoolchildren for a couple of months while in Japan. At this moment, he’s spending his last fall quarter in Sydney, Australia interning at a corporate law firm. It is not hard to feel a little envious of Michael or, at the very least, impressed. I am full-fledgedly both. So, without further ado, I give you a glimpse into the fascinating mind of Michael Clogston.

For Business…

Full name: Michael Clogston

Year and major(s): Fourth year English major with minors in Japanese and Professional Writing

Hometown: San Diego, CA

List of countries visited: Britain, Japan, and Australia

How do you pick your study abroad programs?: I try to pick my study abroad programs based on whether they would help me with requirements for graduation. So, every program I have picked has helped me fulfill requirements for either my major or my minors.

What is your favorite program so far and why?: I think my favorite program, so far, is the one I’m in now: writing and internships in Sydney. I like it the most because not only am I in such a great city and at the center of it all, but the internship is just superb and I never thought that I would be interning at such an awesome law firm like I am now. Additionally, I think that as a senior who will graduate soon, this is a really good experience of what working life is like.

You pursue a wide range of interests. Why is this variety important to you and how do you relate it to the so-called ‘college experience?’: I think that a variety of interests is really important to me because so many things fascinate me and I really want to do a lot. I feel that a lot of people view college as this entity that is purely school with little enjoyment. I view college as the time to have a bit of fun while you try and find yourself as a real adult — cliché, I know.

What are your career aspirations?

I really love DC and Marvel in addition to law and legal stuff, so I think combining those would be awesome. So, I would love it if I could be an assistant editor for either company’s comic book publications, and then I would like to go to law school to get my law degree as well. After obtaining both, I would then like to move up from whatever I’m in into their legal department of intellectual properties and copyright issues. But those are my aspirations, of course.

… And Pleasure

What is one word you’d use to describe yourself?: Fiery.

What is one word you’d use to describe UC Davis?: Large.

Favorite TV shows: The Office, Gilmore Girls, Worst Chefs in America, America’s Next Top Model, and Merlin.

Favorite movies: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Up, Lilo and Stitch, Kubo and the Two Strings, Finding Nemo, Finding Dory, Zootopia, Mulan, Aladdin, Hercules— probably every Disney and Pixar film.

Favorite social media platform: Facebook. It’s the only one I have.

What is the next country on your list?: I am really interested in Germany, Italy, France, Austria, or the Nordic countries. So maybe one of those.

Any last words?: Life is just like a wallet full of money; I’m just trying to make it last as long as I can.

Jazmin is a fourth year UC Davis student double-majoring in English (Critical Theory and Creative Writing emphases) and Psychology and minoring in Professional Writing. She enjoys drinking coffee, engaging in pop culture scrutiny, and referring to herself in the third person.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!