To The Max: Texting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Our generation is lucky enough to have a bajillion ways of communication. From email, came aim, came facebook chat, while the invention of cell phones led to the infamous texting.
Texting: the double edged sword of our society. Texting allows for convenient communication but, at the same time, makes communication more inconvenient than ever because there are no social norms or rules that give us guidelines. Texting has become a culture of its own. Everyone is familiar with it, yet has so many questions regarding the rules, how to go about it, without coming off as too desperate or rude.
According to my friends, I am a horrible text-er. I guess I text to get to the point or because I don’t have enough time to call. If I want to converse, I’d rather talk on the phone or in person, as opposed to hiding behind a simple text. Texting is a nonchalant way to communicate, which makes me uneasy about whether I should conform to the “texting generation.”
The average “texting article” gives points that girls want to hear like:
1. Some guys just aren’t tech savvy & don’t think that they should be texting you even though in modern world that’s what we expect
2. In this case, don’t be afraid to text first, but only if you’re getting the vibe that they’re into you.
3. If you are skeptical about their interest…DON’T TEXT
4. After things are over between you and a guy, don’t text him a personal, inside joke from when you guys were hooking up because you think he will think it is funny…it just looks desperate.
5. If a guy doesn’t respond to your text for a long time, and he seems like the guy who would do that on purpose, do the same, if he was probably busy (as is the case with most guys) don’t think you have to wait hours before responding back.
6. Don’t give in to 12 am booty calls

So feel free to follow these guidelines… if you’re into that. But I have a different opinion on the subject all together.

How about don’t hook up with someone who doesn’t have the decency to call you after. Or if you actually aren’t looking for a phone call or text after a hook up, MEAN IT. Be okay with getting no form of communication the next day because, as you said at the beginning of the night, “I’m not looking for anything.” Realize that not looking for something out of a hook up is totally fine, but if you are expecting some kind of communication the next day, don’t hook up with a tool or, at least, don’t hold your breath waiting for that text or facebook friend request.
Unfortunately for most of us, the expectations are inevitable. Let’s be honest, you were intimate with someone and some sort of reaction just seems polite. But nowadays everyone is so scared to come off as a stage 5 clinger, that no one will take the initiative.  So what can you do to find the happy medium?

DO WHATEVER YOU WANT.

You want to know what he thought of last night? Call him. You wanna see him again? See him. You never want to lay eyes on him? Don’t. That’s the fun of college; you have the power, so use it. But if you have expectations for someone that you spend a night, or part of a night, with to text you or give you affirmation the next day… go for a gentleman. Someone who is actually into you and would be honored to text call you!

Or just settle for text, I guess a call is too much to ask for ;)

-max

Edited by Amy Coyle

photo cred: http://www.tumblr.com/dashboard