This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Makeup trends are always changing. We had a cut crease phase, the infamous “How to Contour like Kim K” phase, and a 100 shades of highlighter phase, just to name a few. Makeup has moved past theatrics and is now entering a modern take on early 2000’s makeup trends such as colored eyeshadow, glitter, and bejeweled lash lines and I’m loving it! It has a strong appeal of being easy to apply and the simplicity of the look really adds to any outfit that you think needs an extra pop. The current trend is great for people who don’t want to spend forever trying to blend eyeshadows together and bake their faces, but instead enhances your features by using simple, easy to apply, techniques that you can experiment with all types of color and textures to set you apart from the norm. Also, with the quarantine, this is a perfect time to play with makeup.

1. Monochromatic eyeshadow

I think one of the most popular trends from the late 2010’s were these intricate cut crease looks. They’re definitely still around, but I’ve seen more monochromatic eyeshadow looks as of late. What’s even more great is that you can experiment with different colors, deviating from the usual brown that we’re all used to. I really like to play with pastel colors as that aesthetic pleases and goes with my overall personality. I like to just put a concealer on my eyes, set with powder, then apply a pastel blue or lavender all over the lid in patting motions with a flat shadow brush. I also apply it with a sharp cat wing angle, to elongate my Asian hooded eyes! If you want more of a bold look, try a bright orange-red or a warm yellow for a strong pop of color that’ll look great in the summer.

Photo by Úrsula Madariaga from Pexels

2. Are you wearing a jewel?

When the infamous HBO show, ​Euphoria​, featuring Zendaya, everyone got exposed to the work of makeup artist Kirsten Sage Coleman. She brought back jewels on your face as makeup to enhance your overall look. It’s really easy too! Just put a little drop of eyelash glue anywhere you’d like on your face, and attach the jewel with tweezers. I really like to focus my makeup on my eyes, so I always put a jewel on my center of my lower lash line. I remember watching the show and just thinking “I gotta order some jewels.” I especially love this trend for a night out with my girls whether it’s bar hopping or just going clubbing, it looks great when the lights catch and make your jewels shine. I get my jewels from amazon and really like this ​one​ in particular! With practice, you’ll be able to bejewel a lot of your makeup looks.

3. The Glossy Lip

I definitely remember buying MAC’s “Soar” lip liner back in 2014 so I could overline the hell out of my lips to look like Kylie Jenner and I’m a bit ashamed, but that’s okay. I’m so glad that the over-lined trend is slowly dying and the glossy lip is finally making a come back. Before the glossy lip, we had the liquid lipstick trend and although I am a big fan of having a bold lip, I am not a fan of having dry, crusty lips anymore. The glossy lip adds that shine to your lips to make it look juicy, full, and moisturized. If you’re not a fan of the ultra glossy, sticky trend try ​NYX Cosmetics’ #thisiseverything Lip Oi​l. I’ve been repurchasing this product for 3 years now! I swear by it and actually use it now as my everyday lip balm. It has a very subtle rose tint that would be great for people who already have pigmented lips and want to add a little ‘oomf’ to it. I don’t have pigmented lips so I always wear a lip liner underneath still to add a bit of color. It’s also great for those days that you don’t want to look like you tried, but you still look put together!

Makeup products
Photo by Raphael Lovaski on Unsplash

4. My Face but Better

More and more influencers are advocating for their followers to focus and invest on skincare in order to use less product for their base makeup. This trend advocates to embrace your skin, but also still advocates for using makeup! It’s a great middle ground for people like me who hate using a thick foundation but still want to even out my skin tone. A lot of brands are coming out with tinted moisturizers and lightweight foundations that just even out the complexion and add a bit of glow to make you look like you tried a little harder for the day. My favorite product to achieve that “My Face but Better” look is definitely the ​BareMinerals Hydrating Rescue​. It’s a tint, so it adds just enough color to even out my skin. It’s hydrating so that my dry skin doesn’t look cake-y after application, and it’s glowy enough without making me look oily. Although it’s pricey, I definitely swear by it, and it hasn’t broken out my sensitive, eczema prone skin. A cheaper alternative would be to just mix a bit of foundation with your every day moisturizer for a DIY tinted moisturizer!

Hi I'm Jackie! I'm a fourth year transfer student majoring in Communication and English. I'm a big advocate of the body positive moment and learning to measure your life in love!
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!